In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR-15 question

gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
edited June 2002 in General Discussion
I finally got a chance to take the Bushmaster out and it shot great! But, after about 150 rounds I started getting failures to extract the shell casing. I decided that the rifle must have gotten dirty and went home to clean it. During my cleaning I discovered the reason for the problem, the bolt carrier key had come loose. I tightened the allen head screws down, but now I'm worried that it'll loosen up again. Has anybody else had this problem? If so, did you use any type of thread locking compound to keep it from reoccurring?

Thanks,
G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals

Comments

• gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking of buying a new gun, and somebody told me about the Olympic Arms Plinker Plus. I like the price, because I can't really spend much, because of the holidays approaching fast. Does anybody have any opinions on it?
    edited November -1
    hey can any one tell me how good or bad a Rock River Shorty Cabine would be for just all around use?
    it has A-2 sights what ever those are? can it be scoped???
    16 inch chrome moly barrel 1 in 9 twist and carbine length handguards with a post ban non collapsible stock,,
    also what should one of these sell for?
    any help is greatly appreciate!!!

oh as you can tell I don't know much about ar-15 type weapons but have always wanted one thanks
    edited November -1
    sendra corp/rock island model m15a1?? any good appx value in nra 90% condition. thanks
    edited November -1
    What are your opinions about C.A.I Centurion AR's? They seem to be selling for less than others out there. Is it as simple as "you get what you pay for?" If thats true is Colt really worth the extra 4-600 bucks they seem to get?

I'm beginning to think that an AR is an AR is an AR. Just get a receiver and build yer own.
    edited November -1
    Is there any good reason why one should/should not try for a set up on a flat top ar15 that allowed the simultaneus use of a scope and iron sights. My thinking was what if you dropped you gun on its scope and now its a paperweight and the varmint you want to shoot is right there in from of you.

Has anyone tried that? Is it common uncommon?
    edited November -1
    Any one have any experience with Essential Arms brand AR? There is one listed in the local paper for $650 and was thinking of checking it out if they decent.
    edited November -1
    Does a free float handguard worth the time & $ ? And how much acc. improvment can one expect ? Is it really worth it ? My upper is bushy A2 heavy ,full rail hanguard and standard front sight .
    Thx in advance !
    edited November -1
    I've got a post ban lower and a 7" barrel to go with it.
    Should I, Can I, Or do I have to register the lower as a SAW pistol, or a SBR??? Anyone here have a a thought???
    edited November -1
    a small portion of each paycheck is going to be set aside for the purchase of an Ar-15. I know there are a myriad of makers and accessories, but what all calibers are available as well?
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you crazy asking that question on here!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Holy crap your gonna bring the bashers out of the woodwork calling them things junk and anyone who uses for anythign other than shooting mice in the cellar stupid! You better go to another forum to ask that one because there are too many commie gun lovers here!
  • FUBARFUBAR Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I have heard, the Rock River ar-15 clone is o.k. A good price on a post ban, I would think would be between 700.00 and 850.00. I have a Colt AR and Bushmaster clone, like them them both. How much is the gun your thinking about buying? I also would ask for more expert advice from Judgecolt,Kimberkid and Antiquedr. They know more about AR's than I. Judgecolt is the one who drilled into my head the issue of what is a true AR-15 and what is a clone.

Guns! Guns! Guns!
    edited November -1
    7mm: yes I know about the bashers as I have read with interest some of the post about the .223 .. as they say, its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog,, in other words put the little bullet in the right place and it will get the job done!!

*: asking price on the rifle was in the mid $600 NIB,, I was thinking it sounded like a good rifle to start out with,, you know not wanting to spend a $1000 on a colt to see if I really wanted one or not,, I 've had Ruger mini 14's but have never really been satisfied with them..
    I was thinking about selling a Sig 239 that I have to help out with the cost of the rifle as I have several other pistols but nothing right now in a defensive type rifle..

anybody have any suggestions?
  • FUBARFUBAR Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mid 600 does not sound bad to me. Blue Books MSR is 925.00 so you figure MSR discount of almost 300.00. I don't think thats a bad deal at all. I think you'll like the rifle.

Guns! Guns! Guns!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only ARs I've shot are Bushmasters and I love them dearly. I have never placed a rifle to my shoulder that fits like they do. They are a little pricey but they are WELL worth it! Expect to pay $700-1000 for a good used or new one. You get one and you will fall in love.

( I want to see an AK be as comfortable to shoot as a Bushy!)
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a good rifle and a good price. There are scope mpunts that fit on top of the carrying handle and all kinds of red dots, ACOGs,
    and tactical scopes that adapt to this rifle. See also www.ar15.com for discussions on everything about the rifle. These guns are capable of fine accuracy but need a target trigger to do it.
  • .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahem.

The AR15/.223 is junk, and nothing short of the 105mm is suitable for the individual infantryman.

Just to set the record straight.

I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltaire~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all, only Colt made an AR-15. It has been out of production for more than 20 years.

If you do not know if you would like an AR-15-type rifle, why not borrow one for a week or so and try it, rather than buy an inexpensive clone? If you like it, but something of better quality. If you do not, you have saved $600.

I think you will like an AR-15 clone, because such rifles are among the most popular in the world. The design is lauded for its egronomics, the better quality clones are very accurate and magazines are inexpensive.

Edited by - JudgeColt on 06/02/2002 10:41:00
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    The AR15/.223 is junk, and nothing short of the 105mm is suitable for the individual infantryman.

And here I thought the 105mm was an artilleryman's tool.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
    edited November -1
    thanks every one for the info,, even though I know some of it was poking a little fun at me

JudgeColt: would you mind telling me which ones are the better quality clones?
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Naming the "better quality clones" could be a bit controversial, as opinions will vary on that determination. I will give you my opinion, with which others may disagree.

Of coures there are the custom makers such as Wilson that are very high quality, but very expensive. Not much cheaper is Knight, followed by ArmaLite (formerly Eagle for pre-ban rifles), DPMS and Bushmaster. In my opinion, all of the last three are about equal in quality, but the features vary.
  • twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered building your own. J and T distributing sells kits and all you need then is the stripped lower. Chrome moly, 1 in 9 twist, milspec, etc... total is about $570.00