In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Niagara Falls

reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
We'll be in Pennsylvania later this month and might take some time to go to Niagara Falls. From some quick checking I've done it seems that several things are closed this time of year, such as the Maid of the Mist Boat Ride which takes you up to/behind the Falls.

Has anyone been to the Falls this time of year? We don't want to drive all that way and not be able to do amything once we get there.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Planning a couple of days' visit to the falls with the Mrs. Going early next month before it starts getting cold.

Does anyone here have first-hand knowledge regarding good places to stay and good casual dining? I've read that the Canadian side is more scenic than the US side(?) but dirty(?)

I plan to spend time on both sides but am looking for any tips you might have. -TIA
  • patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is really a must see. There is more to see in Canada. I can not help with advice about other things.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would choose the Hard Rock Cafe on the Canadian side - there are some retail stores and such on the same road...

Mike
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife and i went about 5 years ago and the Canada side is much nicer than the US side.

I can not remember the hotel name where we stayed but it was within walking distance to the falls. It was a 4 or 5 star hotel. We also had to pay 20 dollars a day to park the car. Also all they had was valet parking.

I think the room was about 300 to 350 a night. The room we had was above the normal. We could sit in the jacuzzi in the room and see the falls.

They did give coupons for 75 dollars off of supper which was around 200 dollars i think.

You would like to see behind the falls and ride the Maid of the Mist.

Another thing is Canada is expensive. So have your money right.

Also remember when you get in Canada remember its not mph anymore its the other speed kwm.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't forget your passports
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was there 20 years ago.
    Everything Dave said sounds right.
    Maybe it was the Marriot?
    We also toured a butterfly sanctuary. It was spectacular!! So peaceful and beautiful. Really a special opportunity.
    Another vote for the jet boat ride! pricey, but fun! And Maid of the Mist is mandatory!
    We also visited a small town up the river on Lake Ontario. It was a very clean and pretty place. We really enjoyed it!
    Again, it's been 20+- years since we were there so I'm sure things (other than the falls!) have changed!!
    Lots of great tourist things to do.
    Suddenly, I want to go back to Niagra Falls!
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    don't forget your passports

It was 1948 when we went there. I do recall there was much more on the Canadian side. Don't miss the whirlpool & there is a cable car ride you can take over it. I remember my dad wasn't happy that our Dollar wasn't worth as much in Canada & now that is quite a bit the other way around.
  • Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We did the tourist thing,ie.stayed at the Holiday Inn on the American side,and took the tour to the Canadian side..

Great tour,,went almost under the falls,very nice scenic tour.

went to the top of some observation tower(forgot the name).

all in all a real nice tour(much to my amazement).wifes idea..

Ditto on the Passport..delay going in and coming out.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a trip up the Niagra on the Whirlpool jet boat for some excitement and then take a trip on the Maid of the Mist for some good pictures.
    edited November -1
    My appreciation to everyone for the helpful information [:)]
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave your firearms home if you plan on crossing into Canada.

The boat ride is worth the $$$ but plan on getting damp.

'I'm retired' (if so) is an acceptable answer to the Customs agent question 'where do you work?' Do NOT say "I'm unemployed".

If taking a Pet, have all of their medical papers.

Birth certificates for any youngsters (or Passports)
    edited November -1
    FYI

The customs and border checkpoint on the US side in buffalo is an unpleasant experience and should be avoided if possible...

IMHO

Mike
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cave of the winds on the American side. Last time I went, you can stand on the hurricane deck pretty much right under Bridal Veil Falls. Ranks very high for me in terms of natural awesomeness. Highly recommend this one.
    The Secret Garden on the Canadian side is pretty cool. Used to be a decent steak house on top of Clifton Hill but I can't remember the name of it. The Whirlpool Jet Boats are cool, but time consuming and not exactly cheap. Coupons can be found on the web.
    Yes, avoid Rainbow Bridge if you can, and cross at the Whirlpool Bridge to the north on Niagara Pkwy. But be warned, last time I crossed there (the final year before passports were mandatory), we were questioned why we did not go across at the well known Rainbow and told that we should go there next time. I did not feel like arguing about it and could not understand if they did not want me crossing there, why was the bridge open?!?!
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the great tips.

Regarding border crossing, I will fly to Buffalo and rent a car. I plan on staying on the Canadian side, so where should I cross?

Can money be exchanged nearby the falls?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reload999

Regarding border crossing, I will fly to Buffalo and rent a car. I plan on staying on the Canadian side, so where should I cross?

Just about everyone accepts U.S. Cash at a fair exchange rate. You get the most accurate exchange using credit cards.
    I wouldn't go out of my way to get any Canadian "funnymoney" while going to Niagra Falls and nearby.
    Have a great trip!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    Just about everyone accepts U.S. Cash at a fair exchange rate. You get the most accurate exchange using credit cards.
    I wouldn't go out of my way to get any Canadian "funnymoney" while going to Niagra Falls and nearby.
    Have a great trip!

Good points, thanks.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't imagine any place short of a cardboard box being bad with that view!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    I can't imagine any place short of a cardboard box being bad with that view!

Very well said!![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reload999

I flew into Canada and drove to the falls on their side...

A nice drive - pretty short trip...

We did the Hard Rock Cafe and some of the retail outlets

We visited some kind of hydro electric pump house - finding somewhere to park without getting a ticket or paying an exorbitant fee is a mission impossible

We crossed back into the states at the buffalo border crossing checkpoint (and got detained for several hours)

The neighborhood is a wee bit sketchy

I am uncertain about what alternate crossing point would be preferable - we were heading to some upstate New York farms and packing houses (after visiting Prince Edward Island)

Mike
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your plan is good; flying into Buffalo is much cheaper than flying into Canada, & it's a pleasant drive to the falls. Buffalo is very depressed, do not go walking at night.

Most credit card companies screw you when you use your card in Canada. You get a bad exchange rate, plus they pile on the charges.

Neal
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,279 ******
    edited November -1
    Niagara Falls,,,slowly we turn, step by step, inch by inch [:0] nyuck, nyuck, nyuck [:D]

Hope you have a stooge'ly wonderful time!
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badchris
    Cave of the winds on the American side. Last time I went, you can stand on the hurricane deck pretty much right under Bridal Veil Falls. Ranks very high for me in terms of natural awesomeness. Highly recommend this one.

Unfortunately what the forces of nature had created over thousands of years was also responsible for its demise through water erosion. Major rock falls at Prospect Point and Terrapin Point had highlighted the danger of loose and overhanging rock along the face of the gorge wall. It was determined by engineers that the entrance to the cave had become too dangerous for tourists. The overhanging ledge of Dolostone which had protected tourists entering the Cave of the Winds from the water of the Falls was in serious danger of collapsing. As a result, the original Cave of the Winds was destroyed by a controlled dynamite blast in 1955.
    Today the Cave of the Winds exists in name only. The new Cave of the Winds attraction is located on Goat Island within Niagara Reservation State Park in Niagara Falls, New York. A guide will lead tourists on an exhilarating adventure to the base of the Niagara Gorge and over a series of wooden decks below the Bridal Veil/Luna Falls coming within twenty five (25) feet from the Falls. Stand on the hurricane deck nearest the Bridal Veil/Luna Falls and feel the forces of nature as the winds and water of the mighty cataracts combine. Raincoats are issued but be prepared to be soaked by the thundering cataracts. A must for the serious tourist. Open Seasonal.
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived about 2 miles from the falls back when they were doing the Falls Power Project/ Was only about 13 or 14. We would ride our bikes into Canada and put fireworks in the handlebars and tape them under the seat and ride back across the bridge. I think the guards knew what we were doing but never stopped or hassled us. Stuff was cheap back in the early to mid 60's.