In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Range Finders

Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
I have an old set of Bushnell 400 yard range finders and was thinking about upgrading to some longer range ones. I dont use them that often so I dont want to spend a ton on a set. Can you guys suggest a decent one that will do about 1000 yard and well for a decent price.

I saw in the latest SG catalog a ATN one for for $250 that says it is good for 1500 yards......

Edited: I think I just found my next give away the old range finders. I am about to break the xxx mark for guns and was going to do a give away.

Comments

• Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I got enough gift cards to get one now I need to know which one to get. Thanks.
    "Protect the Right to Protect yourself"
    edited November -1
    Due to my ever worsening astigmatism, I'm having a real hard time determining distances. Are there any decent range finders available for a hundred bucks? With deer season coming, I think I need to buy one.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang. how many gift cards do you have? I wish that the two gift-card givers in my life would get together and decide on one place. I got one from Wal-Mart and one from Scheel's Sporting Goods. I wish they were both to the same place. I WOULD have bought a snow-camo suit. Instead I got some Bushnell 10X25 binoculars and some ammo from Scheels and a case of motor oil and a Realtree belt from Walmart.
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    idsman, I got a great idea. We need GB to set up a program much like a retail store does for brides that register for their wedding. Then we can tell all of our friends and family to just go to the web site and punch in our username and see where it is we plan on doing our shopping, or what we want, and they can get us gift certificates for the correct store, or buy us the exact gift we REALLY want!!!
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about this, GB could set up a system where buyers could purchase online credit to be used towards auctions. GB could charge a small fee to maintain the system and even turn a little profit! Hell, most of my disposable income designated for the pursuit of firearms and the shooting sports go to GB auctions anyway. It would require major revamping of the current system but I believe that it could be done.
  • 7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a bushnell Yardage Pro 800 and I love it. On a good day it will read over 1000 with a good reflective target. Only problem it will not read under 20yards. I use it during archery season and if I cant get it to read in the tree I know it is less than 20.
    when all else fails........................
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    7MM is right the Bushnell 800 is very good. up here in WA most of our hunting is within 100yrds so I bought the 800 instead of the 1000. Now if I were in eastern WA I would definately think about the longer range ones. It depeneds on your use, but I really like my 800
    edited November -1
    Seriously now, no funny stuff, just straight forward honest replies, just for a second. I too have been seriously thinking of getting a range finder. Why do I need to get an 800 yd. range finder, if I personally would not shoot at anything over 300-400 yds. and more than likely 300 yds. Dont flame me on this one, I just want your most sincere advice, ok?
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    robs:I shoot chucks out to 750. That was my longest killing shot and I probably wouldn't do it again, the animal could have just as easliy been smacked in the gut as opposed to through the heart as it happened. Most shooting with the stuff I use, .223, 22-250 and 25-06, indicates an 800 yard range finder would be good. Use the same criteria when you choose yours.Clouder..
    edited November -1
    I hade 4 gift cards totaling 300.00. That's all I said I wanted and everyone was very coperative. Well I just got back and said forget the range finder for now. I think they will get cheaper and better. The store had lot's of good shooting supplies on sale so I got some supplies and have lot's left over. If you want some snow camo the "Sportsmans Guide" has some Military surplus Norwegian mil Snow camo for 9.97. sportsmansguide.com Item number LX1M-43396X
  • 7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ROB, I found out something when I bought mine, things are further away than you think. after I bought mine I went out and tried my internal range finder and tested myself against the bushnell. I lost! Plus the price on the 800 is good, compare the smaller models and the prices. Money wise the 800 is the best deal. I may not shoot as far as the range finder sees but I'm glad I bought it because I have tried a couple of shots I thought was closer than they really was. The 800 did me and some deer a favor.
    when all else fails........................
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    If you only expect to shoot 300 yards or less, then you do not need a range finder. If on the other hand you are going to be shooting distance or playing golf, then get a the Bushnell YP 1000 it offers better targeting features than the other. Plus it is much more accurate than the others in foggy/rainy or brush conditions. I am happy with mine. Got it at Bear Basin for $319.Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights. [This message has been edited by Boomerang (edited 01-01-2002).]
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Thats 800yrds of reflective surfaces, in real use that boils down to 500yrds total nonreflective surfaces ie deer, trees, and everything that we would be siting in on. Also if you have a 17" drop at 300yrds can you accuratley tell when something is at 250 - 300yrds and you may have a 5" difference in placement (clean kill -v- tracking for a few hours)
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)[This message has been edited by BlueTic (edited 01-01-2002).]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. guys, I will probably get the 800. Rob.