In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Interesting read

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in General Discussion
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/report-soros-unloads-all-investments-in-major-financial-stocks-invests-over-100-million-in-gold_08162012

In a harbinger of what may be coming our way in the Fall of 2012, billionaire financier George Soros has sold all of his equity positions in major financial stocks according to a 13-F report filed with the SEC for the quarter ending June 30, 2012.

Soros, who manages funds through various accounts in the US and the Cayman Islands, has reportedly unloaded over one million shares of stock in financial companies and banks that include Citigroup (420,000 shares), JP Morgan (701,400 shares) and Goldman Sachs (120,000 shares). The total value of the stock sales amounts to nearly $50 million.

What's equally as interesting as his sale of major financials is where Soros has shifted his money. At the same time he was selling bank stocks, he was acquiring some 884,000 shares (approx. $130 million) of Gold via the SPDR Gold Trust.

When a major global player with direct ties to the White House, Wall Street, and the banking system starts off-loading stocks and starts stacking gold, it suggests a very serious market move is set to happen.

While often lambasted for his calls to centralize global banking, increase government intervention in the economy and his support of what he has called an "emergence of the new world order," if there's anyone with an inside track of where things are headed next it's Soros.

Soros, who has written extensively of a coming global paradigm shift in his book The Crash of 2008 and What It Means, calling the current economic and political model "an end of an era," has recently suggested that the financial and economic situation across the world is so serious that Europe could soon descend into chaos and conflict. He also notes that the world is entering "one of the most dangerous periods in modern history", and foresees violent riots in America and a brutal clamp-down by the government that will dramatically curtail civil liberties.

This is an individual who not only predicted the collapse of 2008 and took action to insulate himself, he also proposed the various fixes that governments in Europe and the US would eventually implement in order to stave off a deflationary depression. In his aforementioned book he suggested that central banks infuse the system with massive amounts of monetary expansion, but also warned that not injecting enough money would simply extend the onset of deflation and printing too much could lead to hyperinflationary currency collapse.

Based on recent activity in Soros' US held accounts, it seems that governments and central banks have failed at those efforts to stabilize the system. As such, Soros is getting out of those companies which are most at risk should the financial system buckle like it did in 2008 and he's shifting his assets into what may be the only asset class left standing when it's all said and done.

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    HOOVER & EISENHOWER DEPORTED MILLIONS OF ILLEGALS!

Here is something that should be of great interest for you to pass around. I
    didn't know of this until it was pointed out to me. But, back during the
    Great Depression, President Herbert Hoover ordered the deportation of all
    illegal aliens in order to make jobs available to American citizens that
    desperately needed work. And then again in 1954, President Dwight Eisenhower
    deported 13 million Mexican nationals! The program was called "Operation
    "undocumented alien" so that American WWII and Korean veterans had a better chance at
    jobs. It took 2 years, but they deported them! Now, if they could deport the
    illegals back then, they can sure do it today!! If you have doubts about the
    accuracy of this information, enter Operation undocumented alien into your favorite
    search engine and confirm it for yourself. Reminder. Don't forget to pay
    your taxes... 12 million illegal aliens are depending on you!
    edited November -1
    SecretsofSurvival.com
    edited November -1
    Got this in an email. Thought it was interesting.

Before you read on, do you know who Hayim Solomon was? I did not.

Look at a one dollar bill:

On the rear of the One Dollar bill, you will see two circles. Together, they comprise the Great Seal of the United States .

The First Continental Congress requested that Benjamin Franklin and a group of men come up with a Seal. It took them four years to accomplish this task and another two years to get it approved.

If you look at the left-hand circle, you will see a Pyramid.
    Notice the face is lighted, and the western side is dark. This country was just beginning. We had not begun to explore the west or decided what we could do for Western Civilization. The Pyramid is uncapped, again signifying that we were not even close to being finished. Inside the capstone you have the all-seeing eye, an ancient symbol for divinity. It was Franklin 's belief that one man couldn't do it alone, but a group of men, with the help of God, could do anything.

'IN GOD WE TRUST' is on this currency.

The Latin above the pyramid, ANNUIT COEPTIS, means, 'God has favored our undertaking.'

The Latin below the pyramid, NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM, means, 'a new order has begun.'

At the base of the pyramid is the Roman Numeral for 1776. (MDCCLXXVI)

If you look at the right-hand circle, and check it carefully, you will learn that it is on every National Cemetery in the United States It is also on the Parade of Flags Walkway at the Bushnell, Florida National Cemetery , and is the centerpiece of most hero's monuments. Slightly modified, it is the seal of the President of the United States , and it is always visible whenever he speaks, yet very few people know what the symbols mean.

The Bald Eagle was selected as a symbol for victory for two reasons: First, he is not afraid of a storm; he is strong, and he is smart enough to soar above it. Secondly, he wears no material crown. We had just broken from the King of England Also, notice the shield is unsupported. This country can now stand on its own. At the top of that shield you have a white bar signifying congress, a unifying factor. We were coming together as one nation. In the Eagle's beak you will read, ' E PLURIBUS UNUM' meaning,'one from many.'

Above the Eagle, you have thirteen stars, representing the thirteen original colonies, and any clouds of misunderstanding rolling away.
    Again, we were coming together as one.

Notice what the Eagle holds in his talons. He holds an olive branch and arrows. This country wants peace, but we will never be afraid to fight to preserve peace. The Eagle always wants to face the olive branch, but in time of war, his gaze turns toward the arrows.

They say that the number 13 is an unlucky number. This is almost a worldwide belief. You will usually never see a room numbered 13, or any hotels or motels with a 13th floor. But think about this:

13 original colonies,
    13 signers of the Declaration of Independence,
    13 stripes on our flag,
    13 steps on the Pyramid,
    13 letters in, 'Annuit Coeptis,'
    13 letters in 'E PluribusUnum,'
    13 stars above the Eagle,
    13 bars on that shield,
    13 leaves on the olive branch,
    13 fruits,
    and if you look closely,
    13 arrows.

And finally, if you notice the arrangement of the 13 stars in the right-hand circle you will see that they are arranged as a Star of David. This was ordered by George Washington who, when he asked Hayim Solomon, a wealthy Philadelphia Jew, what he would like as a personal reward for his services to the Continental Army, Solomon said he wanted nothing for himself but that he would like something for his people. The Star of David was the result. Few people know that it was Solomon who saved the Army through his financial contributions but died a pauper.

I always ask people, 'Why don't you know this?' Your children don't know this, and their history teachers don't know this. Too many veterans have given up too much to ever let the meaning fade. Many veterans remember coming home to an America that didn't care. Too many veterans never came home at all.

UNITED STATES ONE DOLLAR BILL,
    and what it stands for!
    edited November -1
    I have recently read James Bradley's book "Flags of Our Fathers" and was greatly impressed with his writing as well as the enormous energy and time it must have taken to put this story together. I was unaware of this particular event that took place as told in the following paragraphs. This is a great story. Takes a few minutes to read, but well worth your time.

Durwood

Tale of Six Boys

Each year I am hired to go to Washington, DC, with the eighth grade class from Clinton, WI. where I grew up, to videotape their trip. I greatly enjoy visiting our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special memories back with me. This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima memorial. This memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of the most famous photographs in history -- that of the six brave Marines raising the American Flag at the top of a rocky hill on the island of
    Iwo Jima, Japan, during WW II.

Over one hundred students and chaperones piled off the buses and headed towards the memorial. I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the statue, and as I got closer he asked, "Where are you guys from?"

I told him that we were from Wisconsin. "Hey, I'm a cheese head, too! Come gather around, Cheese heads, and I will tell you a story."

(James Bradley just happened to be in Washington, DC, to speak at the memorial the following day. He was there that night to say good night to his dad, who has since passed away. He was just about to leave when he saw the buses pull up. I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and
    received his permission to share what he said from my videotape. It is one thing to tour the incredible monuments filled with history in Washington, D.C., but it is quite another to get the kind of insight we received that night.) When all had gathered around, he reverently began to
    speak. (Here are his words that night.)

"My name is James Bradley and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin. My dad is on that statue, and I just wrote a book called "Flags of Our Fathers" which is #5 on the New York Times Best Seller list right now. It is the story of the six boys you see behind me.
    "Six boys raised the flag. The first guy putting the pole in the ground is Harlon Block. Harlon was an all-state football player. He enlisted in the Marine Corps with all the senior members of his football team. They were off to play another type of game. A game called "War." But it didn't turn out to be a game.

Harlon, at the age of 21, died with his intestines in his hands. I don't say that to gross you out, I say that because there are people who stand in front of this statue and talk about the glory of war. You guys need to know that most of the boys in Iwo Jima were 17, 18, and 19 years old.

(He pointed to the statue) "You see this next guy? That's Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire. If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo was taken and looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a photograph... a photograph of his girlfriend. Rene put that in there for
    protection because he was scared. He was 18 years old. Boys won the battle of Iwo Jima. Boys. Not old men.

"The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike Strank. Mike is my hero. He was the hero of all these guys. They called him the "old man" because he was so old. He was already 24. When Mike would motivate his boys in training camp, he didn't say, 'Let's go kill some Japanese' or 'Let's die for our country.' He knew he was talking to little boys. Instead he would say, 'You do what I say, and I'll get you home to your mothers.'

"The last guy on this side of the statue is Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from Arizona. Ira Hayes walked off Iwo Jima. He went into the White House with my dad. President Truman told him, 'You're a hero.' He told reporters, 'How can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the island with
    me and only 27 of us walked off alive?' So you take your class at school, 250 of you spending a year together having fun, doing everything together. Then all 250 of you hit the beach, but only 27 of your classmates walk off alive. That was Ira Hayes. He had images of horror in his mind. Ira Hayes died dead drunk, face down at the age of 32 .. ten years after this picture was taken.

"The next guy, going around the statue, is Franklin Sousley from Hilltop, Kentucky. A fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. His best friend, who is now 70, told me, 'Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop General Store. Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get down. Then we fed them Epsom salts. Those cows crapped all night. Yes, he was a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of 19. When the telegram came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the Hilltop General Store. A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his mother's farm. The neighbors could hear her scream all night and into the morning. The neighbors lived a quarter of a mile away.

"The next guy, as we continue to go around the statue, is my dad, John Bradley from Antigo, Wisconsin, where I was raised. My dad lived until 1994, but he would never give interviews. When Walter Cronkite's producers, or the New York Times would call, we were trained as little kids to say 'No, I'm sorry, sir, my dad's not here. He is in Canada fishing. No, there is no phone there, sir. No, we don't know when he is coming back. My dad never fished or even went to Canada. Usually, he was sitting there right at the table eating his Campbell's soup. But we had to tell the press that he was out fishing. He didn't want to talk to the press.

"You see, my dad didn't see himself as a hero. Everyone thinks these guys are heroes, 'cause they are in a photo and on a monument. My dad knew better. He was a medic. John Bradley from Wisconsin was a caregiver. In Iwo Jima he probably held over 200 boys as they died. And when boys died in Iwo Jima, they writhed and screamed in pain.

"When I was a little boy, my third grade teacher told me that my dad was a hero. When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said, 'I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back. Did NOT come back.'"

"So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7,000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps. My voice is giving out, so I will end here. Thank you for your time."

Suddenly, the monument wasn't just a big old piece of metal with a flag sticking out of the top. It came to life before our eyes with the heartfelt words of a son who did indeed have a father who was a hero. Maybe not a hero for the reasons most people would believe, but a hero nonetheless.

We need to remember that God created this vast and glorious world for us to live in, freely, but also at great sacrifice. Let us never forget from the Revolutionary War to the current War on Terrorism and all the wars in-between that sacrifice was made for our freedom. Remember to pray praises for this great country of ours and also pray for those still in murderous unrest around the world. STOP and thank God for being alive and being free at someone else's sacrifice.

God Bless You and God Bless America.

REMINDER: Everyday that you can wake up free, it's going to be a great day.

Great story - worth your time. Please pass it along..
    edited November -1
    This is something to think about! Since America is typically
    > represented by an eagle. Saddam should have read up on his Muslim
    > passages...
    > >
    > >The following verse is from the Koran, (the Islamic Bible)
    > >
    > > Koran (9:11) - For it is written that a son of Arabia would
    awaken a
    > fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the
    lands
    > of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still
    more
    > rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah; and
    > there was peace.
    > >
    > >(Note the verse number!) Hmmmmmmm?! God Bless you all Amen !
    > >
    > >
    > >IRAQ - VERY INTERESTING - DID YOU KNOW?
    > >
    > >1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq.
    > >
    > >2. Mesopotamia, which is now Iraq, was the cradle of
    civilization!
    > >
    > >3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.
    > >
    > >4. The Tower of Babel was in Iraq.
    > >
    > >5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq!
    > >
    > >6. Isaac's wife Rebekah is from Nahor, which is in Iraq.
    > >
    > >7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.
    > >
    > >8. Jonah preached in Nineveh - which is in Iraq.
    > >
    > >9. Assyria, which is in Iraq, conquered the ten tribes of Israel.
    > >
    > >10. Amos cried out in Iraq!
    > >
    > >11. Babylon, which is in Iraq, destroyed Jerusalem.
    > >
    > >12. Daniel was in the lion's den in Iraq!
    > >
    > >13. The three Hebrew children were in the fire in Iraq (Jesus had
    been
    > in Iraq also as the fourth person in the fiery furnace!)
    > >
    > >14. Belshazzar, the King of Babylon saw the "writing on the
    > wall" in Iraq.
    > >
    > >15. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, carried the Jews captive
    into
    > Iraq.
    > >
    > >16. Ezekiel preached in Iraq.
    > >
    > >17. The wise men were from Iraq.
    > >
    > >18. Peter preached in Iraq.
    > >
    > >19. The "Empire of Man" described in Revelation is
    called
    > Babylon,which was a city in Iraq!
    > >
    > >And you have probably seen this one. Israel is the nation most
    often
    > mentioned in the Bible. But do you know which nation is second? It is
    > Iraq! However, that is not the name that is used in the Bible. The
    names
    > used in the Bible are Babylon, Land of Shinar, and Mesopotamia. The
    wo! rd
    > Mesopotamia means between the two rivers, more exactly between the
    Tigris
    > and Euphrates Rivers. The name Iraq, means country with deep roots.
    > >
    > >Indeed Iraq is a country with deep roots and is a very
    significant
    > country in the Bible.
    > >
    > >No other nation, except Israel, has more history and prophecy
    > associated with it than Iraq.

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
    edited November -1
    https://www.sciencealert.com/moths-acoustic-camouflage-is-like-a-form-of-evolved-stealth-bomber-technology

The evolutionary arms race between predator and prey has given rise to many impressive defence mechanisms; as it turns out, the lowly moth is no exception.

These unassuming creatures may not have the charming appearance of their butterfly cousins, but their furry facade conceals some tricks that would impress the most advanced military division.

Over millions of years, moths have evolved a sneaky form of camouflage that's reminiscent of stealth bomber technology - all in an effort to resist the clutches of their main predator, the bat.

Bats are unusual predators because they use echolocation - a series of high frequency calls bounced off their surroundings - instead of sight to track down their prey. The resulting sound- and hearing-based competition between moths and bats has long fascinated scientists.

But while some moths have evolved ears to detect a bat's ultrasonic calls, many remain deaf to their approaching demise.

In moths that are hard of hearing, researchers have now discovered a "stealth coating" that acts sort of like acoustic camouflage.

Just like stealth technology is used to make an airplane invisible to radar, the fur on a moth's thorax and wing joints was found to leave it largely impervious to bat echolocation.

"Thoracic fur provides substantial acoustic stealth at all ecologically relevant ultrasonic frequencies," says lead author Thomas Neil, a researcher in bioacoustics at Bristol University.

"The thorax fur of moths acts as a lightweight porous sound absorber, facilitating acoustic camouflage and offering a significant survival advantage against bats."

When bats echolocate, they call out into their environment and listen for the returning echoes from nearby objects.

By absorbing these ultrasonic calls, the fur on moths reduces the sound that can bounce off of them, making it more difficult for bat's to locate their prey in the all-consuming darkness.

To figure out how effective this stealth coating truly is, the researchers compared the acoustic properties of two deaf moth species that are preyed on by bats, and two butterfly species that are not.

When the team removed the fur from the thorax of the butterflies and measured the sound bouncing off, they figured it was not used as part of camouflage. But removing the fur from a moth's thorax increased its detection risk by as much as 38 percent.

"We found that the fur on moths was both thicker and denser than that of the butterflies, and these parameters seem to be linked with the absorptive performance of their respective furs," Neil says.

"The thorax fur of the moths was able to absorb up to 85 percent of the impinging sound energy. The maximum absorption we found in butterflies was just 20 percent."

The unique coating provides deaf moths with a significant survival advantage against bats. It also offers scientists inspiration when it comes to developing ultra-thin sound absorbers and other noise-control devices.

"Moth fur is thin and lightweight," explains Neil, "and acts as a broadband and multidirectional ultrasound absorber that is on par with the performance of current porous sound-absorbing foams."
    edited November -1
    Interesting reading.... Especially about drinking water before bed and aspirins!

Mayo Clinic on Water Consumption -

How many folks do you know who say they don't want to drink anything before going to bed because they'll have to get up during the night!!
    Heart Attack and Water - I never knew all of this! Interesting.......

I asked my Doctor why people need to urinate so much at night time. Answer from my Cardiac Doctor - Gravity holds water in the lower part of your body when you are upright (legs swell). When you lie down and the lower body (legs and etc) seeks level with the kidneys, it is then that the kidneys remove the water because it is easier. This then ties in with the last statement!

Correct time to drink water... Very Important. From A Cardiac Specialist!
    Drinking water at a certain time maximizes its effectiveness on the body:

2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack

I can also add to this... My Physician told me that water at bed time will also help prevent night time leg cramps. Your leg muscles are seeking hydration when they cramp and wake you up with a Charlie Horse.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For whatever it is worth Snopes also says Spiral CFL bulbs DO NOT present any danger of catching fire simply a poof and smoke.

Odd that sitting at my mothers dining room table I personally observed a 1 inch flame emitting from the bulb prior to shutting it off and the base was red hot.

Just Nuke em it's faster.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ONE BACON SANDWICH AND THEY'LL CONVERT.
    Pork , Pork for every meal, eat some Pork it's no big deal.

In my research on Islamic apostasy, I found that pig meat has a special place in the hearts and minds of former Muslims. For many, the consumption of pig meat was a crucial point in their passage out of Islam.
    https://psmag.com/why-ex-muslims-pig-out-d8d92133c1ef#.kdexdrr09

pig03.gif

Alert: potential FAKE NEWS !!!
  • AlpineAlpine Member Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So to summarize the whole bloated answer.

Pershing didn't actually do it, he merely threatened to do it. So the threat was enough.

Way to go Snopes, so verbose an answer, when a simple answer would do.
    ?The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.?
    Margaret Thatcher

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    Mark Twain