In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

gardening question

hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in General Discussion
I decided to go with the Celebrity tomato this year upon the
recommendation of a little old lady, who was also at the feed store
picking out tomato plants. I'm just now getting some pink tomatoes,
thats the way I like em. But I got alot of them that are rotten on
the bottom. I've heard of this in certain varieties that it is
called 'bottom rot' Can anybody tell me how to prevent it or stop
it. The chickens truly appreciate this disease in tomatoes, but I
don't[:D] Any information as always, is appreciated.[:)]

Comments

• hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going strictly by getting your nutritional needs met in a self-sufficient manner, what kinds of things do you plant and how much for a normal size family?
    edited November -1
    my first time growing broccoli ,is there any tricks to it ? my plants are app. 13-16 inches ,growing fast .they are starting to flower ,is that ok .

wrench
    edited November -1
    I am craving some fried green tomatoes. I have only bought my green tomatoes from the local produce stand but right now I have tons of them on my tomato plants.

Do I just pick any of the green ones or is there something special to look for?
    edited November -1
    Planted some Icycle Radish's and they have broke through.

Is it beneficial to mulch them?I worked with my Father in his large garden,but have not grown Radish's for many years and can't remember whether to mulch.

Also is there a way to keep them for later use?

I am confused at times.<BR>We park on driveways<BR> and<BR>drive on parkways.
  • tallcharlietallcharlie Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They should get flowerettes, but not open. Just like it looks inthe supermarket.

Give them plenty of water.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    pick before they flower.a few is okay but they flower completely in a couple of days.
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    --Watch out if they grow in CARTER clumps!!you know pres carter hated broccoli--[:p][:p]--JIMBO
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't let them flower- cut the head before it gets to that point. Soak in cold salt water for about 15 minutes to get out bugs. Leave the plant after you cut the usable part- you will have smaller heads pop out. Cut them and you will get smaller ones again. After 3 clippings, pull it up. If a plant has already flowered, you have lost the main harvest. Cut the flower off, and wait for the secondaries.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdwrench
    my first time growing broccoli ,is there any tricks to it ? my plants are app. 13-16 inches ,growing fast .they are starting to flower ,is that ok .

wrench

Love ya man, But I consider broccoli as another vial weed next to brussels sprouts[:D]. the ones they grow here love fog in the morning heat in the day.

Cut them small.