In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FFL question

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
Resently i purchased a gun off GB and needed ffl transfer so i started asking prices at local shops one said they charged $45 which covered them having it shipped in plus tranfer then said they have to charge tax on original purchase price? Gun was bought out of state no tax. Went to another shop $20 no tax. Question is this legal or not charging tax again? I think not? Should this guy be reported and if so to whom. State is PA. if it makes a diff.?

Comments

• eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are the different types of FFLs, what is involved in getting them, price, background, etc, and what type of FFL is required to own full auto and buy and sell firearms. If I had a FFL, I could buy direct and not need a middleman. This is what I interested in. What are tax stamps for guns that I have heard about?
    edited November -1
    Is a FFL licence copy sent to the seller via e-mail attachment legal?? I was always under the impression that the copy was to be signed fresh in ink and mailed to the seller. What say you ?? Thanks. [:D]
    edited November -1
    This has probably been covered before.

1. If I wanted to obtain a FFL for my own use (buying/selling my personal guns), would this be Type 01 license?

2. Can the FFL be registered at my own personal residence (no retail store)? I've been told this is done all the time.
    edited November -1
    I was asked a question today and had/have no answer....I just don't know [:)] Note, I'm not a FFL. QUESTION: if your out of your home State (example: Georgia) and pawn your pistol in another state ( example: Arizona) can you as a out of State resident redeem it later and walk out with your pistol in your possession ?
    edited November -1
    A Marine stationed in VA wants to buy an AR from me, but he is a Florida resident...doesn't that require an FFL? can't do FTF
    edited November -1
    If you were doing a transfer for somebody, and the gun arrived to you in a box, unloaded, but had magazines in the same box (not in the gun mind you) that were full of ammunition would this be against federal regulations?
    edited November -1
    My buyer gave me his FFL's address and license number, but the licensee refuses to send a copy of his license. He claims ATF advised him not to give the license to individuals due to fraud concerns.
    I checked him on EZ Check and everything is correct. Is this good enough for an individual? Or just asking for trouble?
    edited November -1
    Since FFL holders are able to ship pistols thru the USPS and private guys aren't my question is this. Does the FFL holder need to log the pistol in and do a background check just to let the gun go thru his hands? I do realize that it needs to go thru an FFL on the other end.

Todd
    edited November -1
    I was told that prices go up this time of year (normally not with the frenzy), is that true? Went to fill out paperwork and thats what my dealer told me
    edited November -1
    more or less what is average gross profit margin for someone selling firearms? thanks
    edited November -1
    I received a photocopy of the buyers FFL today for a rifle I sold on the auction. Its not signed in ink, its a photocopy. Can I accept this by law?
    edited November -1
    Say I wanted a part of a gun that required it to be shipped to an FFL. Would I have to be a resident of the state in order for the gun place to receive the part for me? I'm a resident of Maine but am currently in New York for college.
    edited November -1
    I am thinking about getting my FFL to do some buying and selling and I have a question(s). If in the course of buying and selling firearms how much of the paperwork can/could my wife legally do?

She is a school teacher and has summers off not to mention she is home before 3 most days. So if I hold the license how much of the buying and selling can she do?

Also, can she do much of the paperwork for consignment sells, shipping... etc?
    edited November -1
    Someone from another forum I am on is interested in an FFL. He wants one for personal use and maybe a few family transfers per year. He wants to collect a few class 3 weapons. Here is a quote from him, can you answer his questions please. Thank you. [:)]

"I was primarily wanting to get one to get a couple of class 3 weapons but would like to be able to handle a few transfers a year for fam and friends. A person I was talking to at work was trying to say that there were different types of permits and if I was a dealer I could'nt get the class 3 but as a collector you could get class 3 and still handle a limited number of transfers a year. Do you know if this is true?"
    edited November -1
    Does each person working at a gun store, selling firearms, have to have an FFL? Example: do all of the employees authorized to work the gun counter at Big 5 have to have an FFL?

On that same note, does each location have to have a separate FFL? Or is there just one corporate FFL?
    edited November -1
    Hello All.... I am thinking about opening a small hunting and fishing store and would like to know if it is worth getting a FFL.
    edited November -1
    I'm sure this has been asked around before, but here we go again.....
    Can I (non FFL holder) ship a a non C&R handgun direct to a FFL holder, or do I need to ship FFL to FFL? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I have a question concerning a manufacturing FFL. I have seen information that seems to be a little contradictory, to me anyways. Here's my question. Would you need an ffl to manufacture blanks for the purpose of selling them? Or does it fall under a different category since there is no projectile. Here's something that I have dug up..

Ammunition includes cartridge cases, primers, bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm other than an antique firearm. Items NOT covered include blank ammunition, tear gas ammunition, pellets and nonmetallic shotgun hulls without primers. Generally, no records are required for ammunition transactions. However, information about the disposition of armor piercing ammunition is required to be entered into a record by importers, manufacturers, and collectors. A license is not required for dealers in ammunition only. [18 U. S. C. 921( a)( 17) and 922( b)( 5), 27 CFR 178.11]

You would require a manufacturer of ammunition license, FFL type 06 to manufacture bullets for sale.

So does that mean no?
    edited November -1
    I am getting ready to apply for an FFL. I see it says you can not be a respondent to a restraining order. What about one ten years ago. It was rescinded with no charges or trial. No other run ins other then the occasional traffic ticket.
    edited November -1
    Just sold a long gun on the dark side and the buyer is asking me to send the gun to the mailing address on the FFL rather than the premise address. IIRC it has to go to the premise address, am I mistaken? They are different, but in the same town and the FFL checks out. Thanks.

Todd
    edited November -1
    Since I'm looking to get into gunsmithing, I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I know it requires a FFL, and it's almost impossible to run a gun-shop out of your home. Can you establish a gunsmith shop in your home, or do you need an official store-front according to every zoning constraint and what-not?

Are there any requirements different to be a gunsmith than strictly selling? Thanks.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
    edited November -1
    Can someone tell me how long it takes to recieve your ffl after you send it in?
    edited November -1
    I am an unlicensed person and am selling a long gun interstate. I asked the buyer to have his dealer's FFL sent to me in order to verify it through the ATF's EZ Check. I was told by the FFL, who called me, that an ATF agent said never to send an FFL to an unlicensed person. An ATF agent at the Atlanta office told me I have the right to ask for a copy. WOW, what a mess!

I need some input please.
    edited November -1
    I sold an item on GB that required a FFL. Does it have to be signed in ink or can the signature be a copy as well? Thanks
    edited November -1
    Hypothetical: Lets say you are from florida, you are in Tennessee, you run into a friend that is also from Florida, You get to talking guns and he has a pistol for sale, Can that friend sell you that pistol, without using an FFL dealer?
  • MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They say no, But I have seen it done a few times. The ATF seems to frawn on it, But they never did anything.

These people did gun shows, So they had no "Store Front" to speak of. But they used there home addess on there FFL.
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on what state you live in it's very easy to run a gunshop out of your home. I do and I had no problems getting my FFL. Just check your local zoning ordinances and if that sort of business is not prohibited then you can get it without any problem.

My experience in getting my FFL was that it isn't the big, convoluted headache that a lot of people make the process out to be. I simply had to call the BATFE to get the application packet, fill it out, send it in, then wait and wait and wait some more until 5 months later an inspector sent me another packet of info and we had a phone interview for 30 minutes. Then 6 weeks after that I had my FFL. It was all relatively easy and only cost $200 and 7 months of my life.

Check your zoning ordinances as well as state and local laws and if a home gunshop or gunsmithing shop isn't prohibited then by all means, fill out your application and send it in with near total confidence that it will be approved. Don't let the process scare you.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Zoning is your first issue, especially with the idea of becoming a gun smith and you need to be sure there are no problems with your city/county having you get a Type 07 FFL (manufacturer of firearms). It is the manufacturer part that may stir up some concern downtown since there is going to be no difference between you and Remington Arms so far as the Type 07 license is concerned and the folks at city hall may wonder just how big an operation you are planning! If you get the okay and apply for your license a BATFE compliance inspector will come out for a chat or talk to you on the phone in order to get an idea of what you have in mind. If you already have a full on machine shop set up in your garage the questions will probably be very few. If you have only a dremel tool and a set of brass Chinese made punches purchased at the last gun show you attended he may take more of an interest. Expect to be asked about your experience. If you were a military/police armorer, graduate of a gun smithing school or correspondence course, or appreticed with another gun smith it will be easy going. If you have no experince be prepared to explain just who your customer base is going to be with no hands on gun smithing background to guide you. There is more, there always is, but this should get you started. Good luck.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    In addition to what has already been said, if you plan on offering hot blueing and such that require the use of caustic chemicals, they (the local government) want to know how you are going to dispose of the waste. Just something to think about. Good luck

girlieman.png
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The insurance premiums on gunsmithing businesses are enough to discourage most people from starting their own shop. Its really hard to make a profit just doing gunsmithing...every one wants their firearm fixed right now, while they wait, and they expect to pay you about $3 an hour for your time and labor!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
    stooges.jpg
    edited November -1
    Does a 07 FFL allow for selling of firearms, or just working on them?

Also, how do insurance rates differ between gunsmiths and gunshops (if at all)?

Thanks again.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    A 07 FFL allows you to sell firearms in addition to being a manufacturer. You can be a gun smith while using the standard dealer FFL but you cannot manufacturer firearms for resale. Some 'smiths want the added benefits of the Type 07 FFL in order to build custom firearms while others find the Type 01 license enough to cover their needs. Like everything else, it all depends on EXACTLY what it is you want to do and one way or the other you are going to need one of those two licenses.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian