In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taxes

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Made less in 2010 than I did in 2009 but pay a lot more in taxes.

Obama, want to explain that so an old country boy can understand?

Elections coming up next year and I am real tired of how things are going.

About time for a change.

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Father O'Malley answers the phone.
    'Hello, is this Father O'Malley?'
    'It is!'
    'This is the Tax Department. Can you help us?'
    'I can!'
    'Do you know a Ted Houlihan?'
    'I do!'
    'Is he a member of your congregation? '
    'He is!'
    'Did he donate $10,000 to the church?'
    'He will.'
    edited November -1
    Mark commented on another thread about the government having the right to levy taxes and effectively outlawing things by not allowing the tax to be collected and not allowing sales without the tax.

It made me think about something. Is there ANYTHING that isn't taxed at some point?
    edited November -1
    Ok, as much as we all hate paying them, taxes are necessary. We need them to run the country and provide infrastructure. However, if you could change the tax system, what would you do?

Personally, I think a flat tax would be the best. EVERYBODY, rich or poor has to pay the same percentage and there are no tax write-offs. X% of your gross income, that's it. Nobody would be able to tax shelter themselves out of paying taxes. It would also be easier to collect. Employers would always take the same percentage out and because there are no tax deductions, there should be very little need to file tax returns and refund money.

Tax businesses at the same rate, right off of their gross. This would eliminate people using their business to write off the rest of their lives.

Of course, this is my opinion, and I don't really have any qualifications to really forecast the results. This is just something that I have thought about that I think would work. So what would you do?
    edited November -1
    We got an email from the business dep't today. Everyone's SS taxes will be going up this year, mine by at least $500 a year. But, no worries, Uncle Obama will take care of us.
    edited November -1
    Anyone have any good (legal) ideas on how to cut my tax burden this year? I made way too much money that I didn't pay taxes on last year. Looking at a hefty tax bill to pay.[V]
    edited November -1
    Is it just me, or is any one else noticing them trying to tax everything? I just read an article on Bay News 9, our local news service gere, Cigar Tax, Cigarette Tax, Soda Tax and now they want an Artificial Sun Tan tax. How much further is this going to go? We already pay taxes on property the WE "supposedly" own. We pay sales tax and income tax. I think all were missing is a Tax tax, a tax on being taxed. How much longer is it going to be before they finally push someone too far, and he breaks and something bad happens? I am seriously thinking of grabbing a megaphone and walking around town telling people the facts of what exactly the **** is going on on. I guess people are having a tough time, and theyre soo pre-occupied with just trying to make it through one day to the next they dont see the fence being built around us. What single action can one person perform to make people see the truth around us? I just woke up minutes ago with the worst feeling I have ever had in my life and this rant is what came out, thank you for reading.
    edited November -1
    Taxes

"One of the greatest scams the federal government has ever imposed upon taxpayers across the country is unfunded federal mandates, and education costs and health care costs [for immigrants] imposed by the federal government on local taxpayers without reimbursement is not only unfair, it is a scandal." - Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas)
    Taxpayers are being stuck with the bill for illegal immigration across the nation, but Californians are hit especially hard. In 2004 alone, the education, health care, and incarceration of illegal aliens cost California taxpayers a total of $10.5 billion. Three years later, the costs have undoubtedly gone up with the number of aliens living in our state and taking advantage of taxpayer-funded services.

Often referred to as "cheap labor," illegal immigrants come at a high price to taxpayers-in our state and across the nation. Ironically, "open borders" advocates often use the argument that illegal aliens have a net positive effect on local, state, and national economies. But according to a growing body of research, illegal immigrants consume far more than they contribute to the nation, and what they do contribute is grossly disproportionate.

There's even serious talk of allowing illegal aliens to collect social security for the time they worked in this country illegally. While there's stiff opposition to these proposals, there's also a realistic possibility the proposals could become law some day.
    edited November -1
    Tax Poem----

Tax his land,
    Tax his bed,
    Tax the table
    At which he's fed.
    Tax his tractor,
    Tax his mule,
    Teach him taxes
    Are the rule.

Tax his work,
    Tax his pay,
    He works for peanuts
    Anyway!

Tax his cow,
    Tax his goat,
    Tax his pants,
    Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
    Tax his shirt,
    Tax his work,
    Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
    Tax his drink,
    Tax him if he
    Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
    Tax his beers,
    If he cries
    Tax his tears.

T ax his car,
    Tax his gas,
    Find other ways
    To tax his *.

Tax all he has
    Then let him know
    That you won't be done
    Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers,
    Then tax him some more,
    Tax him till
    He's good and sore..

Then tax his coffin,
    Tax his grave,
    Tax the sod in
    Which he's laid.

Put these words
    Upon his tomb,
    'Taxes drove me to my doom...'

When he's gone,
    Do not relax,
    Its time to apply
    The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
    Building Permit Tax
    CDL license Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Corporate Income Tax
    Dog License Tax
    Excise Taxes
    Federal Income Tax
    Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    Fishing License Tax
    Food License Tax
    Fuel Permit Tax
    Gasoline Tax (44.75 cents per gallon)
    Gross Receipts Tax
    Hunting License Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Inventory Tax
    IRS Interest Charges
    IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
    Liquor Tax
    Luxury Taxes
    Marriage License Tax
    Medicare Tax
    Personal Property Tax
    Property Tax
    Real Estate Tax
    Service Charge Tax
    Social Security Tax
    Road Usage Tax
    Sales Tax
    Recreational Vehicle Tax
    School Tax
    State Income Tax
    State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    Telephone Federal Excise Tax
    Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
    Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
    Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
    Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
    Telephone State and Local Tax
    Telephone Usage Charge Tax
    Utility Taxes
    Vehicle License Registration Tax
    Vehicle Sales Tax
    Watercraft Registration Tax
    Well Permit Tax
    Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
    Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What in the hell happened?
    Can you spell 'politicians?'
    And I still have to 'press 1' for English!?!?!?!?
    I hope this goes around THE USA at least 100 times!!!!!
    YOU can help it get there!!!!
    edited November -1
    The wife was doing the taxes last night and found something in the 1040 instruction book that she thinks is new.It is on page 18 Line 6c
    4th paragraph down titled Dependents.Sub titled,Citizen or resident test.
    The person must be a US citizen or resident alien,or a resident of canada or mexico.
    That is plain English stating if you are here from mexico or canada you can claim tax relief if you have dependants back there they can claim relief for them.
    This dont sound right to me.What gets me as much as anything is nirther of these two countries are what one could call good allies yet we mollycoddle them.

Those who live by the sword will be killed by those who dont. Glyn
  • FrostDawgFrostDawg Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The salaries of the members of Congress, maybe? [:D]
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    FTF gun buys[:D]quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    Mark commented on another thread about the government having the right to levy taxes and effectively outlawing things by not allowing the tax to be collected and not allowing sales without the tax.

It made me think about something. Is there ANYTHING that isn't taxed at some point?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    FTF gun buys[:D]quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan

When that FTF sale gun was produced the manufacturer paid Federal Excise tax on it and that tax was passed along in the retail price. As the second buyer you might not be paying a tax, but the poor slob who made the original purchase paid a tax. Some years ago there was a big stink about gun dealers buying firearms for police sales, which are tax exempt, but instead of selling every gun they ordered tax exempt to the cops, they sold a lot of them at retail (a no tax built in discount really helps the bottom line). A good sized store front gun shop in my area got busted for doing just that, they had their license pulled, the shop was shut down while the BATFE moved in for a full audit and the shop's principles did jail time for tax fraud. Not pretty.