In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Road Trip

Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Anyone going to the "open invitation" in DC?

Great news! We CAN Bring our Health Care Town Hall to Washington, DC.

If you read our email yesterday you know that Congressman Michele Bachmann called on people to come to Washington, DC Thursday, Nov 5, at 12 noon on the steps of the capitol for a rally and then visit your congressman and let him/her know that you want to have control of your own health care. Click here for more info.

Bachmann said, "This bill is a trillion-dollar, budget-busting, government takeover of our health care system. It will put bureaucrats between people and their health care. It will lead to rationed care, hurting the most vulnerable amongst us first. It will break the bank, leaving our children to pay the bill with diminished freedoms and dwindling prosperity. ..I urge all Americans to come to Washington this Thursday. Come and meet up with your Representative and tell them that you want to control your health care."

We will have a bus leaving from Louisville, KY
Wednesday, November 4th at 8:00 pm.
From Evangel Church, 5400 Minors Lane
Directions - From I 65, exit onto Outer Loop East toward Jefferson Mall.
At the light, turn Left onto Minors Lane. Follow the curve in the road to the left and right.
Minors Lane, will "T" into Dupin Dr. Turn Left onto Dupin Dr and follow it to the church property.
Thursday, November 5, at 12 noon - Rally on the steps of the Capitol
Then visit your congressman's office
Bus will return around 3 pm
Friday November 6, 4 am (time approx) - Bus should arrive back in Louisville.

Comments

• Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I started back to Boise today. I break the trip up into two parts. From Alpine to Jean NV. Then Jean to Boise.

Well I like to leave about noon so I had the truck and trailer all loaded by noon and got started. I had put my Dewalt impact, knee pads, and bottle jack right by the passenger door. I think I musta known what was gonna happen.

About an hour and a half into the six hour drive I hear see the left front trailer tire shred. Hey it's only 98 degrees out there (but better than the 111 degrees in Barstow. So in 20 minutes I have the spare on and back on the road. Well I get to Victor ville and there is a Discount Tire (they handle the Carlisle tire that is on the trailer) there I I pull in to get a spare. Well they don't handle the Carlisle any more because there is a class action lawsuit against them because they shred.

So I'm back on the road tomorrow with a spare tire and a little smarter.

Do you have any Carlisle tires on your trailers?
    edited November -1
    The wife and I are going to Vegas for the Thanksgiving holiday & to see friends and are driving on a little road trip(I hate to fly, especially during holiday times and I can drive it for what 2 plane tickets would cost-and if we have some left over cash or win some we might go out to the Grand Canyon) We will be leaving from near Seattle and will have a day to go through part of Idaho--is there anything worth stopping to see between say Ontario, OR til we turn off in Twin Falls, ID to head down the 93 to Nevada?
    edited November -1
    Be gone for 2 weeks to 2 months on a road trip to San Diego.

Don't talk about me while I'm gone!
    edited November -1
    Anything worth stopping and looking at from Texas to Alabama?
    edited November -1
    Just got back from a road trip to see the wife's people. Drove from Upstate New York on the Vermont border to Delta, Colorado on the western slope of the Rockies.

Ohio had great interstate roads and rest stops...the worst were Illinois...the rest stops were similar to the New York Port Authority in the 1960's..

I'd like to give a tip of the hat to all the tractor trailer drivers. Long hours of monotonous driving..with sudden moments of crazy drivers darting in and out of the lanes.

I couldn't believe how close some of the cars were when the cut of the trucks......just crazy.

Its very brown out west compared to upstate New York...but absolutely beautiful rock formations.

My brother in law took me up Lookout Mountain near Golden, Colorado....a road of tight switch backs and no guard rails with very little shoulder.....what's with Colorado! don't they believe in six foot high and five foot wide guard rails[:)]

He had me convinced the ride over the Continental Divide would be the same way....I was so stressed that you couldn't have pulled a pin from my butt with a bulldozer...

My most memorable moments was traffic slowed down going through the Vail Pass behind a guy on a Vespa...

On the way back we stopped at the National Museum of the Air Force near Dayton.....worth a visit...
    edited November -1
    Thinking about packing the bike and taking a ride. Wanna ride A1A from beginning to end on Flordias east coast to Key West. Anybody on here ever done that? What's longest ride you've ever taken? How many miles a day? Thinking about taking the whole week to do it. Not be in any hurry. Any suggestions besides just leave.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    After being up here for 4 years I decided to go back down to Galveston county and see my family. Since my wife's passing in March it seems like the four walls in here are closing in.
    It has really grown up down there,new housing areas,malls and much to my surprise most of the highway construction on I-45 was complete. It was smooth sailing all the way down. I noticed that a lot of the I-45 travel was posted as "Left Lane for Passing Only". I think that helped alot. But Houston commuters were the same as I remembered,full speed ahead regardless of the speed limit.I was southbound on the north side of Houston with hardly any traffic at 4 a.m. Thursday morning and I was amazed at people traveling 75-80 mph in a 65 limit.
    I still didn't get to see everyone I wanted to cause I just ran out of time. You get hung up here and there visiting and time slips by. I went by my old workplace in La Marque and the cemetary in Hitchcock and spent the first night in Texas City and then up to Friendswood to my sister's new house.
    All in all it was a good trip and I may go back in the fall when it cools off.[:D]
    edited November -1
    I'm going to Canada Tuesday. Anybody want anything?
    edited November -1
    JMDavis.png

The little lady wanted to find some warm air, so.....

Headin' to Claremore to look at some old guns........after that?

Other points of interest in OK?????

Texas mebee......?
    edited November -1
    Taking a road trip from Denver to Kentucky....anyone wanna have cup of coffee along the way?
    edited November -1
    Leave tomorrow morning for Estes Park Co. for a couple days. Getting out of the Kansas heat for abit. Meeting some friends up there then back home this weekend.

Now to lock & load.. [}:)]
    edited November -1
    Well i always wanted to visit the states, & i am sure as h3&& i will.

The daughter & her buddy, have just completed there 2nd year university studies for teaching with super grades, on course for a pHd & been her b'day not long ago. So as a treat there comming to America from today.

London- New York- travel across to Los angeles - fly to London & Home Manchester.

Between visiting states , wonderful scenery & having 30 days out,on bus & stopping off here & there, seeing your great country. So if you see them say hi & keep there journey safe .

Glyn you may get a call [;)]

5a2b63aa.jpg
    edited November -1
    Motored down to Wilmington today and got a chance to meet Ricci and check out his shop.Nice guy and a nice shop/range Enjoyed the trip.
    edited November -1
    I left Sunday morniing at 0500 for Bacliff Texas to empty out my 2 8x10 storage units. Picked up the U-Haul 26' truck and was loading by 11:30 and done by 2pm. Then the 4 hour drive back. I brought along a friend of a friend to drive my Suburban back and help me load the truck. He said he had never seen so much camo clothing,bags,chairs and hunting stuff. He had a few comments on how much crafty stuff my wife had too. I had maybe 2 little tables and 4 mattresses and the rest was boxes and totes and that truck was full to the rear door. Picked up my 2 pc. tool box at my old job too.Now the unloading begins,I'm just working up the energy now,my back is achy to say the least.Guess I will have to empty the tool boxes and unload them from the truck and refill them. And all this by myself,wife can't do much. If it weren't for my sis helping with the cost I would have lost everything. So now here I am in Palestine and no sign of a job after 6 months.I sure hope another moving day isn't in the future.
    edited November -1
    Just got home from same and it sure seemed like a lot of folks are selling some of their most beloved items.

Saw a lot more than normal. Harley's, drag cars, boats, guys' "toys" for sale on the side of the road.

Seeing lots more guns in the want ads too.

It is sad that because of todays economics that this is happening.

These were some peoples dreams out there for sale.

Hope we all get out of this alive.

scumbag (can I say this?) obamanation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited November -1
    Heading to Aurora, IL (from Detroit) in the morning to look at some milling machines, is there anything interesting in the area I should look for?
    Don

Gizmogizmo.gif
    eng.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~dgarriott/guns.html
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    edited November -1
    I will be drive from vermont to connecticut next weekend to pick up a tractor for my dad. I have to drive through mass. Vermont does not have CCW permits so should I leave my pistol at home and hope nothing goes wrong? The guy has asked to be paid in cash since we are from out of state and I will have $6000 in cash with me.
    edited November -1
    Leaving Denver Thursday morning, getting into Sentinel Butte, ND sometime Thurs nite. Anyone along the way (or in that neighborhood) got time for a coffee?
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun show Tulsa 4000 tables.
  • Hoosier71Hoosier71 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stop by Knob Creek for the Machine Gun Shoot on your way there or back.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    haven't made it there yet but plan on it someday...we could just head south from lake place in eastern kansas
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Come on down to Texas Stub!
    edited November -1
    quote:Stop by Knob Creek for the Machine Gun Shoot on your way there or back.

That sounds like fun!

quote:haven't made it there yet but plan on it someday.

Heard something awhile back that it could be shut down due to a squabble between the state and the museum foundation.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Come on down to Texas Stub!

Hey bro, if I have my way about things, that is where we will end up!

I've been to Corpus Christi, but never the D/FW area.