In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

richard wilson

albatrosdvaalbatrosdva Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
was there a richard wilson that made British Long Land Brown Besses?

Comments

• PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    albatrosdva;
    Not that I'm aware of. The only name simular to this would be Richard Wilkinson and Co. London. It is entirely possible an independent gun maker by that name made some of these guns. They were make under royal contract by numberous makers.
  • albatrosdvaalbatrosdva Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    actually that is what the person selling it said the name was going by an "expert" he talked to about it. all it actually says on the barrel besides the proof marks is RW so you may have inadvertently told me the correct answer. can you give me the dates he worked? the barrel is 46" so i'm thinking it is for a Long Land though i suppose it could be something I don't know about. The gun seems to be a hogpog of different brown bess parts though so I can give little more information on it without better pictures from the guy selling it, and he is slow.
    thanks
    sam

quote:Originally posted by Python
    albatrosdva;
    Not that I'm aware of. The only name simular to this would be Richard Wilkinson and Co. London. It is entirely possible an independent gun maker by that name made some of these guns. They were make under royal contract by numberous makers.
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Good Morning Sam: Looked in the database and found the below...
    R.Wilson, London, England from 1720 to 1750..Maker of Flintlock Shotguns..
    Most notable of them was the Fowling 9 Ga., Queen Anne Style, Half Stock Gun...Hope this is of some help to you.........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The book English Guns and Rifles, by J.N. George, Small Arms Technical Publications, 1947, makes a brief reference to an R. Wilson on Page 139: R. Wilson...maker of what may be described as a standard English sporting rifle or fowling piece, built upon musket lines, with barrels ranging from 36 to 42 inches, and of a caliber to take the same 13 or 14 gauge bullets that were used in the 11-bore Brown Bess Musket. There is no further reference to R. Wilson. I wish I had all of this on computer (like some wise captians)...it takes forever to read through all of these books!

Mark T. Christian