In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Are there silencers for ultra mags?

Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone make a silencer for hi powered hunting rifles? I can live with the recoil but the noise from shooting while hunting was deafening. The first time I shot my Sako Warbird, my ears went bad for about 15 minutes. It was like I was plugging them with my fingers. Worse was the fact that I got used to it.
If someone does, how do they effect accuracy and recoil?

Mad Dog

Comments

• ranger37ranger37 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to first check state and federal laws.....as far as I know they are illegal

DO RIGHT GUNSMITH, INC.
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of stupid to make hearing protection illegal but you may be right. On an internet search, I found one place that made them for hunting rifles (reduces recoil also) but I could only open the item page and not the home page. Here is the website and it looks kind of bulky but it might work on a shorter barreled rifle alright. www.sai.dk/silencer2.html

Mad Dog
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I understand of the use and legalities of silencers, you first would have to check your state and local codes. If they allow them you can get a class III permit for the silencer which is $200 and can be obtained after the money is paid, your history checked, and OK'ed. Some states don't allow hunting with class III weapons, so check that too. You'd also have to have your rifle threaded or to modify it in some form to accept the silencer. One that would be enough to silence your Ultra Mag would likely be very large and would add a fair amount of weight to the muzzle but it will be less if you go with a reflex type suppressor. You can find out more info on the reflex type here: http://guns.connect.fi/rs/Reflex.html
    Remember that a suppressor will stop most of the muzzleblast, but you'll still have the crack from the bullet going faster than the speed of sound. Many have said you can silence a high-power rifle to the volume of a .22lr.
    A properly designed and fitted silencer shouldn't affect the accuracy at all. By THEORY, a suppressor should eliminate some or most of the recoil, depending its design and effeciency. Remember recoil is two-fold, you get some recoil by the force of getting the bullet started when the gun is fired, but most of it, by far, comes when the expanding gasses leave the barrel. This is why muzzlebreaks work, they redirect the gasses a different direction rather than straight out the muzzle.
    May I suggest a cheaper alternative? Buy ear plugs... If that isn't enough, use ear plugs & ear muffs. I'm not tryin' to be a smart-@$$, but in my opinion silencers are the most expensive solution to the sound problem.
    A user from Greenland has posted numerous times about making a suppressor (which is legal there, but not in the US). Maybe he'll drop by... Happy, ya there? [;)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    If it is going to move faster than the speed of sound trying to silence it is useless. This tends to negate the ulta mag function. When it leave the lilencer part of the rifle or pistal it must be moving slowe than the speed of sound. my 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    edited November -1
    It does reduce (or eliminate) the muzzle blast, but of course you can't quiet the supersonic "crack" from the bullet.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Setting aside the legalities of hunting with a silencer for a moment, you should be aware that a suppressor large enough to provide relief from the blast of something like a 7mm Ultra Mag (if that is your caliber) will be a massive device hanging off the end of your rifle! Without running the volumetric program, off the top of my head I'd say you'd be looking at a "can" about `14" long and 1-3/4" in diameter- perhaps a little larger or smaller. This thing is going to be big and heavy any way that you look at it! The are suppressors for all sorts of big bore sniper rifles, but these weapons are intended for firing from fixed positions and not hiking around hunting game. Imagine for a moment adding another foot to the over all length of your SAKO and another couple of pounds in weight. By the time you factor in the NFA Tax of $200, having your barrel threaded, and the price of the "can" itself (big bore equals big bucks), I'll bet you'd be into this for $1000 easily! $100 will purchase you a near lifetime supply of earplugs plus money left over for ammunition. This is only my opinion.

Mark T. Christian
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Bambihunter. I ALWAYS use hearing protection when I am target shooting. When I hunt I go with out it so I can hear the deer. I have had very good sucess at detecting deer in the brush by listening for them on top of buttes and ridges (I hunt the badlands of North Dakota). Most bow hunters will tell you that deer can be noisy. And before anyone asks, no I do not shoot into the brush just because I hear them.

Mad Dog
    edited November -1
    I'm glad to hear that. [;)]
    There's a lot of info on silencers and the legalities of them, search google and you'll find most anything you want to know. Just keep it legal so we don't lose any of our gun buddies! [:)]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Norton (and maybe some others) make the valve type ear plugs that allow normal speech and sound to reach the eardrum, but close down when sound above a certain DB (gunshot?) strike it. I believe there are also a set of Mickey Mouse ears that attenuates sound but work like the ear valves and shut down when a loud noise tries to enter. A more simple solution.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have shot a couple of suppressed .308 bolt guns that are sniper rifles. They are fine with heavy bullets below the speed of sound. They do what you want. They make it possible to shoot without ear plugs when you shoot normal high speed ammo. They do still make a heck of a noise down range.