In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

couple questions

jr1275jr1275 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew what a H&K P7M8 in excelent condidtion was worth, all matching serial numbers including the box.

Also was wondering if anyone had advice on a gun for competition shooting, IPSC style, or race shooting. I tried it today and LOVED IT!!! I am currently using a Glock 19, but also have a Glock 23, and the H&K P7. What do you recommend? Are the colt 1911's worth the money to shoot? I know the ammo is expensive, im not into reloading right now. I would like something reasonable to shoot, but if you recommend a .45 cal, than ill reconsider saving the money on ammo. Also, what are the recommended modifications to the gun? I know you can put a compensated barrel, lighter trigger pull, what about springs in the gun? any advice would be greatly appreciated..

thanks
Joe

Comments

• Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    p7m8, is that the one that closes the slide and controls the safty with the front grip??? If it is the I saw two of them today at the mesa,az gun show priced at 1000-1300. one had a stainless slide.
    Hope this helps. Rich

Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • jr1275jr1275 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, it has a "grip cocker" you have to squeeze the front grip in to cock the gun. also known as a staple gun... go figure..
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some competitors I know use 1911 framed guns in 38 super. This allows them to take advantage of the custom shops who specialize in 1911 frames and accessories but not have to put up with the recoil of a 45.
  • jr1275jr1275 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    do you know where i could find a gun like that? is there a conversion kit for the 1911?
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok JR, in my previous reply to you concerning selling you P7, I said don't do it. If it were mine & for some insane reason I were to sell it in order to buy a 1911. This would be the best 1911 to buy:

http://www.stiguns.com/

All the top combat shooters I've seen use STI in 38 Super or 40 S&W.
    However, sell one or both Glocks keep the HK P7M8!

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    For ipsc or uspsa style shooting, you should be looking at a Para- Ordnance, STI, or SV. They have double the capacity of the standard 1911's. Unless you have $3000 to buy a race gun, I will assume you would want to be in limited class which would require at least $650 for a Para, and $1500 and up for an STI or SV depending on the bells and whistles you desire. Figure extra mags at $100 each, and the cost of the guns I quoted you don't include any. you will need at least 3, preferable 6 or more. For caliber stay with .40 to be the most competitive within the rules. By the way I have a PARA p-16 that I am thinking of selling because I am not comfortable with it, the 1911 grip is uncomfortable to me, make sure you are comfortable with the gun you are going to invest in.

Check out USPSA.org for more info on equipment and such.

Why does everyone feel the need to burn that much powder?
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Hey jr, Welcome to the exciting world of runnin' & gunnin'!!By the way; DON'T sell the P7! It's worth alot more than you think in whatever caliber it's in!
    You can do like Rich & richie say and blow a huge wad of money on an ammo eater, spend all your free time bugging the guys at the range to reload all those empties you keep coming up with; or you can get into it like putting on a wet t-shirt: nice & easy.
    I started off with a Grendel P30 in 22WMRF(30 rds.), and they all laughed at me & my Buck Rogers weapon, till I started cleaning the cardboard and dropping steel like the 40's & 45's did-oh yeah, I flubbed the first stage 'cuz I didn't reload!
    The next gun I used was an ancient Colt Gov't. in 38 Super, but it kept being a Colt-lousy trigger, rudimentary sights, jamming; got rid of that and picked up a SigPro 2340 in 357Sig.
    WOW! quite a difference! good sights, low recoil with handloads(medium well), and no jams. Only 10 rds. though.
    Mags are less than $40, it's going thru a price drop, and it's a SIG!
    Only thing you're gonna hafta do soon is buy a Dillon press to fill those empties with.
    Aim for the middle an' somethin's gonna give!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • mech2161mech2161 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to find a club shooting IDPA, International Defensive Pistol Association. It's action shooting based on concealed carry. You don't need any fancy gun or equipment. Your 19 will do fine. I shoot a 17 & a 34. All you need is a double mag pouch and a couple spare mags. Check out IDPA.com.
  • ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FOR COMPETITIVE SHOOTING I WOULD SUGGEST A 38 SUPER IN 1911 FORMAT. IM SURE I WILL GET DEBATE ABOUT THIS HOWEVER THE NEGLIGIBLE RECOIL AND FASTER TARGET AQUISITION IS NOTICIBLE. I WOULD GO WITH OPEN SIGHTS. I THINK SCOPES ON RACE GUNS ARE OVER RATED, THEN AGAIN I'M OLD SCHOOL.
    MY 2 CENTS