In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spanish Destroyer Conversion

jrmarketjrmarket Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
Someone I saw awhile back did a conversion for the Spanish Destroyer 9mm Largo to either 9mm para or 38 super. Anyone know anything about this conversion and if it is worth getting done? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    THE 9mm LARGO AND THE .38 SUPER CASE ARE VERY CLOSE. MOST9mm LARGO CHAMBERED GUNS WILL ALSO CHAMBER THE .38 SUPER, HOWEVER THE .38 SUPER IS LOADED HOTTER THAN MOSTOF THESE GUNS ARE DESIGNED FOR. THE .38 AUTO LOADINGS AND AMMO WILL WORK VERY WELL IN THESE GUNS (DESTORYER CARBINES, STAR & ASTRA PISTOLS ECT.) THE .38 AUTO USES THE SAME CASE AS THE .38 SUPER, JUST NOT LOADED AS HOT. THE ONLY CHANGE TO GUN IS MAYBE OPEN UP THE BOLT FACE A COUPLE OF THOUSANDS (THE .38 AUTO/SUPER HAS A SLIGHTLY LARGER RIM THAN THE LARGO)
  • joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago when the 9mm largo ammo was unavailable, I converted one to 9mm parabellum by simply making a spacer from a WWII steel case. It worked fine.
  • jrmarketjrmarket Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike Wiskey--would the Destroyer handle the 38 super well in your opinion?
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "Mike Wiskey--would the Destroyer handle the 38 super well in your opinion?" I don't believe so, I've owned destroyer carbines (both 9mm luger and 9mm largo) and would stay with loadings in the 30,000 psi ranger (.38 auto). They are cute little rifles but not THAT well made.