In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington Model 81 in .30 Rem.

pmg4432pmg4432 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
Just bought-traded for a Remington Model 81 Woodmaster in .30 Rem. Came with a Lyman 41R peep sight. Serial # 178XX Gun is in very good shape. Anybody know how I can tell when this gun was made and how much it's worth? Also where to find ammo? Thanks...

Comments

• Hardrada55Hardrada55 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very good shape is kind of subjective, but if it is what I think of as very good shape, then it's going to be worth about $350. Your gun was shipped from the factory in early 1942. A production code for the month and year your gun was made is on the left side of the barrel where it joins the receiver. Key to the code can be found elsewhere on the Remington Society site. Amazingly, even thought they quit making .30 Remington in 1997, I still find it for sale in out of the way places. Sometimes for the same price as .30-30. Ammo dealers at gun shows will definately stick it too you, though, to the tune of $35 a box. I also reload for mine.
  • pmg4432pmg4432 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the year info. Couldn't find any ammo at the gun show that I was at. Found some on Obsolete Ammo site. They get $30 for 20 rounds + shipping!!!