In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CZ 452 American vs CZ 452 Varmint .17 HMR

holyghostloveholyghostlove Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
So I've finally narrowed my selection between two guns

CZ 452 American .17 HMR

CZ 452 Varmint .17 HMR

I know the Varmint is a little more expensive then the American and it weighs more, but is it worth spending the extra money? I'm looking to shoot 100 yards accurately and this is my first rifle I will be owning. Is their a big difference between the two rifles?

Comments

• Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The main difference is the barrel and the finish. The barrel on the Varmint is a little bit heavier, but it is by no means a bull barrel. I would prefer the American mainly because of the finish. It has a nice gloss blue while the Varmint has a matte blue. They both will have the 3/8 dovetail for scope mounting, and I would recommend using Weaver Grand Slam rimfire rings for that dovetail. Unlike most 3/8" dovetails, the CZ is flat, and a lot of people have a hard time finding the perfect ring because most are curved on the bottom to fit on tube style receivers. Either gun would be a fine choice.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, I agree 100% that either gun would be a "can't go wrong" choice. Each one is going to be accurate at 100 yds. CZs are a great value, but I'll give my support to the 452 Varmint if you're shooting off a bench. The barrel isn't all that heavy, but it is heavier than the American and that may help a bit with a steadier hold & better accuracy.

If you're going to use the rifle for walking around, then go with the American.

I have the CZ 452 Target in 17 HMR and the CZ 452 full stock in 22 magnum. I guess one is for great accuracy & the other's pretty as heck, OK accuracy.

Some CZ 452s use the 11mm grooved receiver, which is an "almost match" with our 3/8" grooved rings. 99% of the time there's no problem.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those are fine choices in rifles. The varmint is a shorter heavier barrel than the American. I have a Varmint in 17HMR, and it is impressive. However, there is one better than the CZ452, and that is the CZ453(that is the varmint I have). It has everything the 452 has, plus an adjustable single set trigger, that is bi-mode(works conventionally or set). Yes, they are a few dollars more, but worth it.
  • Options
    Stilwater36Stilwater36 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second the Varmint CZ 453 In 17HRM. Have one 3/4" groups at 100 yards.The single set trigger option worth it weight in gold.
  • Options
    Stilwater36Stilwater36 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can purchase rings direct from CZ American. Get the catalog on line. My CZ 453 included the rings with the rifle. Best to use the Manufacturers Ring for proper fit.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Millet rings work great too. Just make sure you get the proper height ones to compensate for the objective lens diameter of your scope. The 453 Varmint I have does shoot almost 1/2 MOA@100 yards, and sometime better, depending on wind conditions. I took the barreled action out of the stock to adjust the set trigger to my specifications, and when I did, I also relieved the barrel channel to make sure the barrel was free floating. When putting it back together, I torqued the action bolts to 40 inch lbs. This is a 17 HMR, and they for the most part like clean barrels(no more than 20 rounds). These adjustments I made could possibly be why it shoots the way it does, as I did not check it out as being stock out of the box.