In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

32 Smith&Wesson black Powder

dusty7dusty7 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have aquired a 32 top break, center fire, S&W from my gradma. She was quite a lady!!
The original box says it is a Harrington& Richardson Arms Co, "Premier" Double action revolver. The logo on the black handle is S&W. The stamping on the top of the barel is Harrington & Richardson. Mfg. first in 65-69 and reissued in 80-82. Serial # 161544. Chrome plated and a bit rusted. Just wondering about history and price for my own satisfaction.
Grandma was bootlegger back in the depression days, but we don't speak about it much. :)
dusty7

Comments

• b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    does the revolver itself have patent dates marked on the top of the barrel. the box and the grips just don't seem to match a premier with a 6 digit serial number. can you post pictures.
    bill
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harrington & Richardson Premier .32 was $14.75 in 1939. I do not know when it came out, but if there is not a letter prefix on the serial number, it was made before 1940. S&W logo grips are obviously a replacement with whatever was available when the H&R grips got broken.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a H & R, it would be a fairly early model "Automatic Ejector", with that serial number. They made over a million of that model between the 1880's and the start of the Second World War. They are nickel plated from the factory, not chromed. Without photos it would be hard to appraise, but being rusted it would not likely to be worth a lot of money.

Here is a photo of a late production one that I got off the net, they were known as the Premier Model, yours being early production wouldn't likely have come originally in that box.

749.jpg
  • dusty7dusty7 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the quick replies.. Do not have a picture yet. Will try to scan or take a picture of one.
    The box has $25.00 written on the bottom of it.
    The only numbers on the barrel are Smith & Wesson, Springfield Mass, USA. Pat'd Jan 24,65 & Aug. 24, 69. Reissued July 25, 79, & May ??,80, Jan 30, 82.
    Stamped on the butt of the grip is #161544.
    The back part of the trigger is solid and not like the picture shown by ruff-snow.Your picture has a screw of sorts on the top part of barrel over the cylender, mine does not. orther then that they look to be the same
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your added information identifies your revolver as being a Smith & Wesson 32 Double Action, Forth Model. With the serial number you have given it was made in the early 1890's, and is probably only safe with low pressure Black Powder loads.

Value would depend on condition, please post photos, if you can.

Here is a photo of one off the net.

dta-87m.jpg
  • dusty7dusty7 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks ruff-snow,
    Mine looks just like yours. The box says to only use low pressure black power shells.
    I will get a picture up sometime later. Right now I'm up to my neck in alligators and I did not drain the swamp.
    Dusty7