In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 1000 SHOTGUN

TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THE MAGAZINE CAPACITY PIN FROM THE TUBE? ANY INFO ON A SCEMATIC OF GAS PISTON ASSEMBLY,WASHERS ETC. WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.TUBE IS FULL OF BLACK TAR LIKE SUBSTANCE I WAS TOLD MIGHT BE A RUBBER RECOIL WASHER? CANT TELL ANYTHING BY THE SCEMATIC I FOUND IN MY GUNPARTS CATALOG.

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anyone fill me in on the pro's and con's of this auto shotgun?
    What should I watch out for in considering this shotgun, worn out friction rings no longer available, weak connecting rod, or ......?
    Thanks for your input.

You can never have too many guns!!!
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    These were interesting shotguns and their gas sytem was was unlike anything else I've seen on an autoloading shotgun. S&W offered this gun for about 10 years and after they discontiunued it in 1984, Mossberg offered it for a year or two as their Model 1000.

What you want to do is a rather complicated procedure and I'm am going to try my best to describe it to you. I have had pretty good luck doing this type of thing in my posts, but you assume all the risks. Lock the bolt open and set the safety to "on safe". Unscrew the forend cap, take of the forend, and remove the barrel. Now remove the pressure compensator valve from the front of the magazine tube...it should come out easily but if their is a large carbon or dirt build up in the gas system you may have to soak it with penetrating oil.

At this point things get complicated. Remove the piston connecting ring spring from its groove and take it off towards the front. A small punch will allow you to lift this wire ring out of its seat. With the ring free you can remove the piston connector pin (it has a groove and is held into place by the retaining ring) out from either side and remove the connector off the front of the tube. With the connector and its ring removed, the gas piston itself should come out of the tube.

Now comes the really hard part. It is possible to pop the magazine spring retaining spring washer out of its detent holes at the front and allow for the removal of the spring and follower, but this is not part of regular disassembly and most folks leave these in place. At the base of the tube you will see the magazine tube retaining nut. There are notches cut into the nut for use of a correct spanner to unscrew the nut. Without the spanner you'll need a small punch and you must carefully tap the nut loose until it can be unscrewed. Once the nut is free you can unscrew the tube and the capacity reducing pin (which serves the same purpose as a plug) can be driven out to the right. There is no rubber washer in the gas system and the tar is probably just gunk that has clogged the system. GOOD LUCK!

Mark T. Christian
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    mark, there is a 'rubber shock absorber washer' in the gas system (part # 38, gun parts cat. #22, p. 854) and they do turn to goo after a number of years. if the shotgun is fired without this, the gas system gets battered and won't work.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I contacted a gun smith and YES there is a washer in there! I have never taken one apart to this degree. I stand corrected and admit my error. Getting the thing taken apart is still a struggle any way you look at it. I think it is gun smith time.

Mark T. Christian