In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Phoenix .22's Are they any good?

prangleprangle Member Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
They're cheap $125 but are they worth that? Thanks!

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I had bought one a few years ago and it hasn't given me any problems. It's fairly accurate and hasn't had a hiccup in 2000+rds. The thing I liked about them was the 10+1 capacity which is a big plus for a micro-pistol.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    The one I had couldn't hit the broad side of a barn unless it was hurled at it. Other than that it was fairly reliable but it hated those .22 "Lightning" rounds you buy in the bricks at Walmart. They are the lead non-jacketed rounds. It fed the jacketed rounds just fine though.
    edited November -1
    Ditto, the lead rounds dirty everything up pretty quick. Mine can hit a barn as long as the barn is real close[;)] For a close range pistol its pretty accurate. I don't think the rifling on that gun stabilizes bullets well, they seem to deviate substantially the further away the target is.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

edited November -1
    LOL, yea, well from 5-15 feet it could hit something, any further than that it was a toss of the dice. But, I picked up two of them and I would set up a bunch of glass bottles and have one in each hand and I would just load up about 4 clips and start firing away like John Wayne but I could never seem to hit that last bottle, LOL. They are fun little pieces, they'll last longer than a (bad word coming up) Jennings. (there I said it, I said jennings *gasp*).
    edited November -1
    LOL, I don't think the Duke would have been blazing away with a pair of HP22's, but it's the thought that counts. For a back-up or hideaway application they're pretty good. Beats the hell out of a J...JJ...J..Jen.....Lorcin[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

edited November -1
    Yea, they whip a jennings hands down, or up, or to the side, I only wish phoenix arms made them in a .380, those might be kinda fun.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall, the American Rifleman Dope Bag gave the pistol a pretty good review. The quality looks good to me (for the money), and I have always intended to buy one. I like the looks of the cased "kit."

The feed problems mentioned by rldowns3 are more likely attributable to the shape of the bullets on the "Lightning" rounds than to the lack of plating on the bullets. (I assume rldowns3 does not really "jacketed" .22 LR ammunition and instead means ammunition with copper-washed or plated bullets. I have know there is such a thing as "jacketed" .22LR rimfire ammunition, but I have never seen any.)
    edited November -1
    That's what I meant Judge, the copper plated/washed rounds feed better than the pure uncoated lead lightning rounds. I refer to them as jacketed out of bad habit like I refer to a .45 Colt as .45LC, kind of a misnomer. But, ya'all know what I mean I'm sure [:D]

Actually, though, any round I put through it that wasn't copper coated jamed up the gun pretty good and almost never fed properly. Not just the "Lightning" ones.
    edited November -1
    I hate trying to clean my 22's after using the lead rounds, that makes a mess. Rich, try using the Remington Golden Bullet 22 HP's. I had best results in my HP22 with them.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

edited November -1
    That's all I use now KJ, are the copper coated rounds, it's the only thing that'll feed through more than 10 rounds before it starts jamming up lol.