In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Where Can I Get a Really Nice German K98?

trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
Well, the project of scoping my Yugo 48 Mauser went splendidly---the gentleman who did the bolt-handle, Bob Oosterman (in Zeeland, MI) did an absolutely FANTASTIC job, and I recommend him unhesitatingly to ANYONE for this sort of work. Now a new---and rather parallel---project springs to mind, and I'd like to know:

Does anyone here know of a good source for really nice German K98 Mausers?

After Bob did such an artistic (and extremely fast) job of redoing the bolt-handle on my Yugo, I'm inspired to do it again, but with a really cherry German K98 if I can find one for not an arm and a leg.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ranger37ranger37 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi ya....you might want to check this site out, it does have some exspensive ones but there are some cheap and in mint condition ones.

www.acmeimportsintl.com/guns3_001.htm

DO RIGHT GUNSMITH, INC.
  • Options
    ranger37ranger37 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi again here is another site that has a realy nice mauser.

www.impactguns.com

DO RIGHT GUNSMITH, INC.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Didn't Fulton Armory have some too? I saw an ad in American Rifleman awhile back and it was either Fulton or Mitchell's Mausers.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    You might want to try Empire Arms. They have a great selection.

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
    Resident Pyrrhonist
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    A really "cherry" German Mauser K98 would cost you upwards of a thousand dollars in today's market.

You can try SOG, Alan's Armory, or FAC. Empire Arms is closed while Dennis (owner) is on a shopping trip.

Blue_car.gif

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So....Empire Arms shuts down its INVENTORY pages, instead of just disabling its online ordering?

Brilliant.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you are going to alter the gun anyhow might I suggest a 'beater' mauser, so long as it has a really nice bore? A beater 98k could be reblued and possibly even restocked cheaper than a really nice example could be had.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    TRSTONE: Software may be written to automatically deduct from the inventory when an order is placed and one can't separate the two programs.

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
    Resident Pyrrhonist
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    TRY cddnninvestments.com They advertise many K98s in various conditions, starting at 69.00 and going up. you know matching numbers and that stuff, better wood on the better guns,, check em out

Pepe_stand3.jpg

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"

Blue_star-eagle.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can't establish any connection with the server for that address you gave me---cddnninvestments.com. Must be broken or down or something...

And what's wrong with scoping an old military rifle? It seems like I get alot of funny looks from people when I talk about scoping one of my old rifles....Who cares about "resale value" or "collectability" on something like an arsenal-refurbished Springfield, or an old SMLE or a Mauser? These things aren't really, realistically worth THAT much to anyone, in terms of monetary value or "historical value"; after all, they were mass-produced in ENORMOUS numbers less than 60 years ago anyhow! I've been contemplating scoping my Springfield, and it was a bit annoying to hear the guy at the gun store start up about "destroying the resale value" or ruining its "collectability". I don't buy rifles to just look at; I SHOOT them. And it's not like I'm goint to SPORTERIZE the darn things, anyhow; I only make whatever minimalistic modifications I need to get a scope on the beasties. Scope a worn-out beater? No thanks, I'll pass. I'm not going to go to all the expense of scoping a rifle that's seen better days. My philosophy is: If you're gonna scope it, make sure it's in as good a condition as you can get.