In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spreader Wad?? for Sporting Clays??

drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hello:
Buddy of mine keeps telling me about some spreader wad for shotgun reloading that is supposed to develop a wider shot pattern. He claims its the hot set up for some sporting clays shooting. I keep asking for a sample or a shell I can tear apart but he hasn't come up with one of either . . . yet. Any idea what he is talking about. Make or brand, and explanation on how it functions.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah i heard of it. i cant remember the co. name but basically its suppose to give the wad a slight twist as it goes from compressed to relaxed once its out the gun and in the air. looks like an old federal 12SO wad.
    personally, improving ones aim is better than relying on a better wad to spread a pattern. and who needs a wider spread than 30" anyway? heck, go any further and youll have holes in your patterns.
    most clays shooters i know like it tighter so they can get closer to it using a mod or full. and let the spread do its thing if they are late on a shot.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spreader wads are very use specific. They are designed to spread the shot as soon as it exits the wad. I never saw them used in a sporting clays setting or trap either. I have seen shooters keep 4 or 5 in their pocket to use on station 8 on a skeet field, I have even tried them on station 8 myself but I'm not persuaded that they are much of an improvement over regular wads even on station 8. I have used them with some success in dove fields when doves are flying close thru tree lines or small fields that require quick and close in shots. In such situations it is quicker to slip a spreader wad shell into the chamber than to change a modified choke tube to a more open choke. I agree with bobski about their use on a sporting clay field, better to practice to become a better shot that to rely on gimmicks. The wad I used in the field on doves was a clay buster spreader wad, which was a generic copy of the Winchester AA wad with a small tapered post in the center of the wad and it would hold up to 1 1/8 ounce of shot in a AA hull.
  • drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with you gentlemen regarding the practicality of their application for sporting clays. I was more interested in the ballistics and how the wad construction achieved a wider shot dispersal. Choke selection would appear to me to be a better way of achieving spread and pattern. I'm assuming velocity would change and therefore so would your lead, not to mention the powder type and charge. If there was a factory load, I'd like to experiment with it; or even try a hand load if ballistic tables were available. I've adjusted and patterned my shotgun loads for years now. Every powder, shot, charge, wad, and shotgun has demonstrated varying characteristics. So I'm naturally interested when a variation is offered. Thanks for you help.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the design of the wad achieves the spread, same as a hastings rifled bore achieves.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I remember correctly, there have been quite a few attempts at this over the years in various forms. The concept is to try to open up a pattern quickly for close in, erratic targets, such as a 'rabbit' which are usually thrown close in and hopping. I too didn't see a lot of difference. Most had either a post or over shot wad to try to spread out or delay some of the shot. I'll have to look around tomorrow and see if I still have the box. They could be had in loaded shells or just the over-shot insert, in the latter case it was a flat plastic disk with three prongs put on top of the shot (prongs down) before you crimped the hull. Many variations on an X wad, cardboard, plastic X put in the shot column. These reduce the effective payload and can blow patterns, but they still exist. We tried an over shot wad we made by trimming a piece of plastic, like a detergent jug, ect over the shot and seemed we got just as much dispersion. The others have it: More practice and definitely try different powders, shot size (9's and 8's have a real tough time breaking an angling rabbit target)even try different choke tubes and PATTERN them. Speed will alter the pattern as will the maker of a seemingly identical wad.

Try www.precisionreloading.com
    www.ballisticproducts.com
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    You may also wish to inquire about a "post wad" which appears like a standard wad with a plastic post in the middle. I haven't used these for 30 years, so I don't remember the brand name. I used them for skeet before screw in chokes were around for O/U's and the event required one gun for many shot distances. Post wads do have "holes" in the pattern starting at about 15 yds. No real use anymore unless your stuck with a full choke barrel and wish to shoot close.

Good luck in your search.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    If you shoot skeet - look into a rifled choke (cylinder choke with rifling for slugs).

I've seen people use these to open up the shotpatterning even wider than with a regular cylinder-choke.

Theory is, if the wad that contains the shot rotates a little bit - it will spread the shot.

I think the germans called the phenomenon Streukreutz and I think it was even designated Half-cylinder choke

Polarbear.gif
    Polarbears walk a lonely path..

But we sometimes do kick back, relaxes and downs a beer. =o)
  • poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midway sells the Ballistic Products Inc. BPI X-Stream Spreader Insert, an X type spreader that works by pushing the shot outward after it (The spreader) is compressed in the choke. When I load spreader loads I clip the sides of the shot cup off and make sure there is enough shot above the spreader that isn't affected by its' action so that the center isn't blown out of the pattern. I use them in a fixed choke double when jumping rabbits. They patterned fine on paper at about 25 yards for my purposes, but I can't recall the specifics.