In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rifle suggestion

young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
if I was looking for a moderatly priced rifle ( less than $700-800 ) wanted to be of light wieght ( <7lbs ) synthetic and chambered in .270wsm where would you guys steer me?

And no I don't want something in .270win....just humor me on this one.

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!

Comments

• BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I would steer you twords a Browning A-bolt II. I got one in 300wsm not long after they hit the market, and they are top notch and super accurate. I bought mine NIB for $550 and have been thrilled with it. Also, Remington now has a line of 270wsm in their Model 700. However, I prefer the Browning due to the removable magazine and option of trigger adjustment.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

star_wars_kid.gif
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester M70, supershadow. Under 7 lbs 6 oz with scope and sling. I get one inch groups at 100 yards with factory 130gr ballistic tips. I did get the trigger adjusted though. It was over 6 lbs and I had it taken down to about 3.5. It feels good and looks good. I like it! My .02.

Phil

Good luck and good hunting
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    I have a Winchester M70, supershadow. Under 7 lbs 6 oz with scope and sling. I get one inch groups at 100 yards with factory 130gr ballistic tips. I did get the trigger adjusted though. It was over 6 lbs and I had it taken down to about 3.5. It feels good and looks good. I like it! My .02.

Phil

Good luck and good hunting

Same gun. Same results. Better with handloads. Much better results once I adjusted the trigger. The trigger job is pretty easy, but if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself, or have never tried something like it, DEFinitely have it done. The results are worth it.
    And, I said in the 'General" forum, I got gun, dies and brass for under $500 on clearance at WallyWorld.
    "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why dead-set on .270 WSM? That really narrows your options.

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.savagearms.com/116fcss.htm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36681066

Frog.

RiBBButt...You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to. -Roger Miller
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is look at the Savage rifles. I think they have the best accuracy out of the box. That is if you are dead set on a .270 WSM. Lots of good rifles out there in regular old standby calibers.

You also might look into a CZ model 3. Specifically made for the Shortmags. CZ's shoot extremely well and would stay under your budget, although slightly higher priced than the Savage. -good luck with your choice.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • handwerkhandwerk Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My choice would for sure be a tikka t-3, smoother action and much better trigger than the others, can be had for $500-$600 and very accurate. I have bought 3 of them and yes I have looked at all the others.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too would suggest a look at Savage's offerings. They are moderately priced, accurate and ugly, but beauty was not one of your criteria.
  • killnbuckskillnbucks Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 700. You can't go wrong with the Remmington. It is cheaper than the Browning and can also be had in many different configurations including a removable magazine. BTW...All Remington 700 have an adjustable trigger as well.

Destroy all enemy's, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentaion of the women!
    Ghengis Khan
  • bub8889bub8889 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Tikka T-3 is a great option, runs about 600-700 with scope rings included, has detachable mag'z and weighs 6-1/2 - 7-1/2 lbs loaded, depending on which model you get. They are very accurate out of thew box