In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Most popular Winchester mod 70 short action

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
I bought a 670 in .225 at auction and found the barrel to be pitted.
Neither rifle or caliber does anything much for me so the plan is to rebarrel it in either 243 or 308, using a Mod 70 push feed takeoff barrel. I intend to play with it for a while then unload it.
I have choices of both calibers in either 22" stainless sporter weight or blued in 19 1/2" featherweight or light weight.
Which end gun would be most marketable.

Comments

• Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the barrel is pitted so bad that it is unsafe to shoot I would just shoot "it" and not rebarrel to the other cartridges mentioned. Once rebarreled it would really gain no value over what it already is. The 225 is a very respectable Varmint round falling somewhere below the 22/250 and a long way above the .223 as far as velocity, shoot it, sell it that's my opinion. Can't see where you would be money ahead to buy a new barrel, rebarrel it, then the barrel contour in the stock wouldn't look right, then try to sell it for a profit just doesn't add up for me.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to completely agree with sneelstorm. You would sink a fair amount of money into it that you could never recover.

J. Patrick Tatum