In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Where buy new recoil spring 4 P38?

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
I've got a post war Walther P38/P1 that is used and was carried by the German military/police. It is in excellent condition but the first time I shot it the slide would not funtion properly. It would sometimes eject the spent case, but would never chamber a new round. On another post topic the info I got back was that I need hotter ammo. The American ammo I was using was not hot enough to make the slide function properly as the German 9mm ammo is hotter.

Well, I would rather replace the slide springs with weaker ones so I could just use the American ammo I have on hand. Anybody know where I can buy such springs?

Comments

• hksrulehksrule Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hksrule
    Try this place...[url][/url]http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

Wolfe has the best spring kits around.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    thanks. will go there now.
  • hulvinhulvin Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you change the springs with weaker, the problem with "would never chamber a new round" may get worse.
    What about your barrel, rifling, chamber?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hulvin
    If you change the springs with weaker, the problem with "would never chamber a new round" may get worse.
    What about your barrel, rifling, chamber?

Everything appears to be in good condition. I believe it will never chamber a fresh round because the slide is not forced back far enough to fully eject spent round AND be far enough back to be able to strip a fresh round from the mag.

From reading Zipperzap"s post, I am reluctant to shoot hotter ammo (+p+) so I am thinking weaker springs are the only answer. I was shooting 115 grain ammo and wonder if a heavier bullet (148 gr.?) would leave the bullet in the barrel longer and thereby provide more reward force to be able to force the slide back farther.

Anybody know?
  • FluwFluw Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello tr fox,
    as far as I remember, the Wolf recoilsprings for the P.1 is either standard (6,5 pounds)ore "stiffer" (8 pounds).
    Are you sure that the previous owner of your P.1 has not changede the springs to "stiffer than factory-standard"?
    Dont know if this will work, but how about clipping a couple og coils of the springs, until the slide goes all the way back?
    Best regards
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fluw
    Hello tr fox,
    as far as I remember, the Wolf recoilsprings for the P.1 is either standard (6,5 pounds)ore "stiffer" (8 pounds).
    Are you sure that the previous owner of your P.1 has not changede the springs to "stiffer than factory-standard"?
    Dont know if this will work, but how about clipping a couple og coils of the springs, until the slide goes all the way back?
    Best regards

You are correct in the Wolfe only advertises standard and heavy recoil springs. I'm reluctant to start cutting coils off as I'm not sure where that would lead although I guess I could buy an extras set springs and take a chance. I'm wondering if the heavier bullets would give more recoil to the slide and therefore make it cycle all the way back to pickup that fresh round?
  • FluwFluw Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello tr fox,
    the boy's on this forum knows a lot about P.1 (and a lot of other things)http://www.p38forum.com/
    best regards[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quikdraw67
    this guy will have them

http://www.carlwalther.com/

Quikdraw, man that site is scary! His prices are off this planet!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fluw
    hello tr fox,
    the boy's on this forum knows a lot about P.1 (and a lot of other things)http://www.p38forum.com/
    best regards[:)]

Good one! I found a topic that covered my very problem. Seems like strictly a ammo problem