In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Aluminum 1911 Dummy Pistol Info ?

hoghaushoghaus Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have this Aluminum 1911 Dummy Pistol and wanted to know what it's worth and any other info? I believe it is old. The pistol is full size and solid aluminum. No moving parts. It may be used to test holsters? Here is the pic. I hope. Hoghaus
1911a1.jpg

Comments

• Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall having one like it when I was a kid. This was right after WWII, say about 1947 or so. Also had a Luger made of aluminum too. They were popular then.

I have no idea what value they would be now. Probably whatever the market would bear. I know if I saw one at a flea market for $25 I would buy it... but for the life of me I don't know why.

Rafter-S
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I've seen old prop guns that often used for dropping from height and dropping into mud and water. Made cleaning easier.[8D]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would be a good prop to have to wet-mold a holster to, so you wouldn't have to use a real gun.

If you want a better "training" gun, you can get a fairly realistic life-sized 1911 replica with identical controls for under $20.
  • jaoobjaoob Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Luger one. Picked it up in Louisville last fall. 25.00, seller had 2 other Lugers and a Colt SA with a broken hammer. He sold them all for 25.00 ea. Had a reprint of the brochure and I think they came out in the 50's the co. made about a dozen different models.

Jim
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello FWIW I think at one time MP's in training and Honor Guards used these with their dress white belts and holsters. The neat thing about yours is I believe it is an early one because even thou it is all one piece it has 1911 type grip not 1911A1 it also has 1911 grip safty main spring houseing and no frame cut out behind the trigger guard. If you bought yours for $25.00 sell it to me and I will let you make a buck or TWO"praise the hard-ball gun"
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    They weren't "used" for anything. They were solid aluminum dummy guns made from molds of the real guns. They were advertised in the back of comic books and other boy's books, and sold in the $5 to $6 range in the mid to late 1940's....just after WWII.

As I recall, you could get the M1911, Luger, P-38, SAA, Detective Special.....and a few others. I sent away from an ad in a comic book (probably Capt. Marvel...SHAZAM! [:)]) and got the Luger.

Wish I still had it.
  • JackiePapersJackiePapers Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the Colt Cobra and the 1911 Models... I wish I still had them too! As I recall they were made (or sold) by the Lyetel Novelty Company... in California someplace. And, yeah... I ordered mine from the back of a comic book. 5 or 6 bucks rings a bell (Expenive at the time for a kid!) Obviously well worth every penny considering aparent duribilty !! [:)] I would pay at least $ 25 for any of them. Sorry.. just trippin' down memory lane here.. haha
  • joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a P38 and a 45 in the late 40s. They are what started me on the road to gun collecting.
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a Broomhandle Mauser all aluminum pistol on the Yahoo auction site for several weeks about 6 months ago.No one was bidding on it and it kept getting relisted everytime the auction ended.Don't know if it ever sold or not.
    EvilDr235
  • jaoobjaoob Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK. Found the brochure. Dated 1956
    Lytles Novelty Co.
    Whittier, Calif.
    Choice of 16 different models
    Most sold for 3.95 except
    Remington 41 Derringer 3.50
    Mauser Broomhandle 4.50

Models offered
    Mauser 7.65 Auto