In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rate of Twist Question

B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
My girlfriend is going to be shooting a Savage .243 this season. The rate of twist is 1 in 9.25" is that suitable for 100 grain bullets?

If not what do you recommend and why?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That should do a splended job with anything from 80 grain to 105 grain. Are you hand loading for it, or are you buying factory ammo? I prefer to ust the Barnes 85 grain TSX or XLC if I can. Flatter shooting, and carries more speed. Speed kills.
  • Options
    B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not handloading at the moment. I am just about to start loading, as I have just recently purchase the new Lyman press and have just finished reading the 49th Reloading manual.

I still have a few questions about certain things that involve handloading. headspace and adjusting the crimp on the dies. I want to make sure to be safe with what I am reloading as I DO NOT want to damage any of the firearms that I have.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    B_Mc,

The most succinct definition of headspace is the dimension measurement of the space between the bolt face and the chamber feature that stops the forward motion of the cartridge when fired.

This article is pretty good and has illustrations:

http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-October99.html

When you set up your dies for the first time, remember that the sizing die should not push the shoulder of your .243 Win. brass back or down. It's a mistake that often occurs with new reloaders.

I rarely use a crimp with rimless bottleneck cartridges unless it's something like a semi-auto when I'm using bullets with a cannelure. Now neck tension is different and can be varied by using a bushing die. Generally though, the standard sizing die is sufficient.

The best method for learning to reload would be to start with a friend or someone with experience so they can guide you along in person. Otherwise do more reading and start getting your equipment set up to get going.

Best.