In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

california resident but live in az

mcistrinmcistrin Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
i am a resident of california and i was wondering if i could purchase a ca. legal firearm and or from someone who was willing to sell to a ca resident on this website but have it sent to me in tucson where i live most of the year becuase im a student at u of a.

Comments

• Options
    lendielendie Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    get a AZ ID-Card, after 90 days you buy all you want.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy off this site, you must have the gun shipped to an AZ dealer, not directly to you.

Like lendie says, you will need an AZ id. And, you will have to find a dealer willing to make the transaction before you bid.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how would i go about getting an az id?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    does that mean that all i have to do is show up at the az dmv with my california drivers license and like passport or something, and i get an arizona id? which i could use to buy a gun?
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you MIGHT also run into trouble by bringing a handgun back to CA that is not on the approved list. Now it probably wouldn't matter if you had been a permanent resident of another state and then were moving to CA-but the fact that you are mainly a CA resident and are bringing in a non approved gun could be a different matter. You also cannot legally bring back to CA a handgun magazine that holds more than 10 rounds so if you were thinking of buying that Hi Cap Glock then forget it. Here is a section directily from the CA DOJ regarding moving into CA

Any person who meets the definition of a personal handgun importer who moves into
    California with the intention of establishing residency in this state, must report his or her ownership
    of any handgun acquired outside California to the Department of Justice within 60 days.
    A personal handgun importer means an individual who meets specific criteria, which
    includes, but is not limited to, any person age 18 or older, who is not a licensed firearms dealer or
    manufacturer, and who owns and intends to possess within this state on or after January 1, 1998, any
    pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person that is not an assault
    weapon or machinegun, as defined by law. (Penal Code ? 12001(n).)
    Personal handgun importers shall report handgun ownership by choosing one of the
    following options:
    Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report
    prescribed by the department. Forms are available from the Department of Justice,
    firearms dealers, law enforcement agencies, and the Department of Motor Vehicles;
    Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the provisions of Penal Code section

Now I highly doubt many people ever register when coming in but if you are trying to circumvent CA law and get caught-well it's your rear--do so at your risk.

here is the whole book on CA firearms from the CA DOJ

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    you MIGHT also run into trouble by bringing a handgun back to CA that is not on the approved list. Now it probably wouldn't matter if you had been a permanent resident of another state and then were moving to CA-but the fact that you are mainly a CA resident and are bringing in a non approved gun could be a different matter. You also cannot legally bring back to CA a handgun magazine that holds more than 10 rounds so if you were thinking of buying that Hi Cap Glock then forget it. Here is a section directily from the CA DOJ regarding moving into CA

Any person who meets the definition of a personal handgun importer who moves into
    California with the intention of establishing residency in this state, must report his or her ownership
    of any handgun acquired outside California to the Department of Justice within 60 days.
    A personal handgun importer means an individual who meets specific criteria, which
    includes, but is not limited to, any person age 18 or older, who is not a licensed firearms dealer or
    manufacturer, and who owns and intends to possess within this state on or after January 1, 1998, any
    pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person that is not an assault
    weapon or machinegun, as defined by law. (Penal Code ? 12001(n).)
    Personal handgun importers shall report handgun ownership by choosing one of the
    following options:
    Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report
    prescribed by the department. Forms are available from the Department of Justice,
    firearms dealers, law enforcement agencies, and the Department of Motor Vehicles;
    Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the provisions of Penal Code section

Now I highly doubt many people ever register when coming in but if you are trying to circumvent CA law and get caught-well it's your rear--do so at your risk.

here is the whole book on CA firearms from the CA DOJ

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

Whether or not the handgun is on the "CA Approved List" would have no impact, so long as the handgun is not an assault weapon. I know it sounds foolish, but CA considers some handguns (with threaded barrels for example)to be assault weapons, won't bore anyone with the details here.

Ruger is right on - CA DOJ has a self register form for handguns, if you return to CA you complete the form, mail it in with $19.00 and you're done. I use it often when buying C & R handguns out of state, except since I'm already here I have only 5 days.

Re hi cap mags, if you are and have been a CA resident and possessed them in state since 2000 you can still possess them in CA - preban hi caps are fine. I've lived in CA since 1989, probably have about 200 hi caps, and they are perfectly legal.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that you would need some proof of residence in Arizona when you appear at their DMV. Any non-Kalifornia items would almost certainly have to stay in Arizona.
    I have been looking for a second home in Arizona or Nevada for quite some time. I have already checked & I would be able to get a state ID
    that would enable me to buy guns there but I would have to leave them there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for all of your help. i would probobly just get a ruger 10/22 to do some plinking with. i would not get a handgun or gun that would otherwise give me complications on bringing it back to california. i live in my dads house here in tucson(he lives back in la). also the california registration on my pathfinder is up in november which i will most likely re-register in arizona. how do i provide proof of residence? i am still a bit confused on how to actually obtain my az drivers license and what i need to get it.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can prove residence in Ariz by showing a utility bill in your name for an address in Az. If its like Nevada you can get an "ID card" and still retain your Calif drivers license. They only require surrender of your Calif license if your applying for an Az "drivers license".

A 10-22 is perfectly legal in Calif. If you bought one in Tucson, you can bring it into Calif with no problems. If you buy hi-cap mags for it in Tucson, they cannot be "legally" brought into Cal, but if you have hi-cap mags you legally owned in Calif before going to Ariz, they can be brought back with you.

As mentioned handguns can be brought into Calif by someone moving into the state and they need not be on the state "approved" list. They just need to be registered within 60 days.