In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

PRE 64 WINCHESTER

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a friend that has acquired throught his father's death, an "in the box", pre 64 Winchester, chambered in 30/30, with the receipt. It was purchased in 1958 or 1960, I don't remember which he said. He has no use for guns and will most likely sell the item. I know that a 100% condition gun should go for about $750 according to blue book, but is that a realistic value, or do you think it could fetch more? Personally, I'd love to buy it but I'm not willing to pay that much.

Comments

• MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is so great about a pre 64 Winchester? Are they much better than recently produced models. What are specific differences? Thanks in advance for your input.
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a pre '64 one that had never been fired for $650. No box but then I didn't care about that.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy it. Now. $750, pre-64, that cal. , is a bargain. Or, you could always suggest that he put it up on the auction with a 750 min. bid.
    You'd have a grateful friend, but no rifle. Your call......
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Mooned,

$750 is a steal. If it were mine to sell, it would have a $1250 price tag on it... with no wiggle room. At a live auction, it very likely could hit the $1500 mark.
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the replies, and would definately love to have the gun, but it is a friend and I will provide him with complete feedback.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Best scenario: Pay the $750..assuming he's OK with that amount. I am assuming that your friend is relying on you to set the price (your looking it up, for instance).

Worst scenario: You stay out of this. Then he walks into a gunshop/pawnshop and they take it off his hands for well under the Fair Market Value.

If you don't want the gun, and you are looking out for his best interest (as a good friend should) print this post and show it to your friend. Best, Joe
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MOONED
    I have a friend that has acquired throught his father's death, an "in the box", pre 64 Winchester, chambered in 30/30, with the receipt. It was purchased in 1958 or 1960, I don't remember which he said. He has no use for guns and will most likely sell the item. I know that a 100% condition gun should go for about $750 according to blue book, but is that a realistic value, or do you think it could fetch more? Personally, I'd love to buy it but I'm not willing to pay that much.

Offers to buy, sell or trade are not allowed on the Forums.
  • turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the box should be serial numbered to the gun as left winchester don't let anything happen to the box or reciept and if you buy the gun (a good move) dont' alter it from factory original just a light oil
  • bigfoot_4bigfoot_4 Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Offers to buy, sell or trade are not allowed on the Forums.
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the information. It was helpful. Unfortunately, the gun which I described yesterday, ended up to be a modern era Winchester 30/30. My friend had a receipt for a different gun which was his father had bought in 1958, which led him to believe it was for the pre 64 Winchester. Too bad....this would have been a real diamond in the rough.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MOONED
    Thank you all for the information. It was helpful. Unfortunately, the gun which I described yesterday, ended up to be a modern era Winchester 30/30. My friend had a receipt for a different gun which was his father had bought in 1958, which led him to believe it was for the pre 64 Winchester. Too bad....this would have been a real diamond in the rough.

Maybe he'll sell you the box. That's scarcer than his Winchester. Or, is it also a modern box with an old receipt?