In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

9mm +p in CZ52 pistol.

wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I just got a 9mm barrel for my CZ52 today and was thinking that since the 7.62X25 round is pretty powerful if it would be safe to shoot +P or even +P+ 9mm's in the CZ52 since the action is pretty strong as well.
Any one know?

Comments

• tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Why would you want to? Its more expensive and its not exactly a very good design for anything else but a plinker.
  • Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The frames on these crack at the top of the magazine well and can be quite dangerous with high power loads. I have seen at least four pistols with serious cracks.

Be safe
  • wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    The reason the frames crack is because people were shooting proof ammo in them which is way to hot to shoot a lot of any way.
    Does anyone know what the pressure is of the 7.62X25 round compared to the +p 9mm?
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll save you from my poor mans evaluation and just say that "If I wanted to shoot hotter commercial 9mm from a healthy CZ-52, I would not worry about it at all."

That said, it is pricier ammo for recreational use. That is what would keep me from it.
  • mrtcnutmrtcnut Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load the CZ52 with my own brew. I use a .30 cal sabot loaded with the SS109 Armor piercing rounds (a .223 cal. bullet) and get over 2,000 fps muzzle velocity. Don't forget the 7.62 x 25mm is really a 9mm necked down to .30 caliber. I just further necked it down to .223 caliber. I've been shooting this round (stock) 7.62 x 25mm since 1971 in Nam......The Russian pistols were fine by me but the Chech pistol is ALOT better. Anybody who screwed them up or cracked them just overloaded them way to much!!! The CZ52 is one of the best handguns in the world, a workhorse of the 1st degree, throw it in the mud-rinse it and shoot away-no problems! They are dirt cheap to buy and outlast pistols 10 times their price!
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three CZ-52's and 5 barrels. Three in 7.62 x 25, one 9 x 19 and one 9 x 23. When I use the 9mm barrels I switch to the heaviest recoil spring I could get from Wolf. How hot a load you can use will depend on your 9mm barrel, does it fully supported chamber. It is slide battering that breaks the frame so use the heavy recoil spring. High pressure will burst a case in an unsupported chamber. The 9 x 19 does not feed the best because of the case is very short for this long action pistol. In 9 x 23 I have taken 125 gr jacketted bullets to 1395 fps avg. I have shot 9 x 19 loads in the CZ with 129 gr. LRN's at 1192 fps avg. without problems and these load are fine in my other 9mm as well. This load is faster than everyone elses +P except Corbon. I have only shot hundreds of these loads not thousands so take it for what it is worth.

Tim
  • mrtcnutmrtcnut Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I TOO USE WOLF SPRINGS AND HAVE HAD GREAT RESULTS FROM THEM. THANKS FOR THE INFO. MUCH APPRECIATED. IF YOU WANT TO TRY, TRY THE .30 CAL SABOTS AND .223 CAL. BULLETS, THE RESULTS WILL SURPRISE YOU!
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded and shot the sabots with both 45 gr. jacketed bullets and 60 gr cast lead round nose bullets. The jacketed bullet did 2066 fps avg. and the cast bullet were 1699 fps avg.

I have also used 60 gr. gold dot hollow points resized to .311" dia and got 1758 fps avg. Those little gold dot will not over penetrate at that velocity.

Tim