In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Walther PPK Info needed.

ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I asked this before and still don't get it. 1). Who makes CURRENT Walther PPK? 2). Are the Walther PPK's marked " Made in USA" Interarms really made in US? From when to when where they made? 3. Are there PPK's that are REALLY made in West Germany?

Comments

• HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The current PPK's available in the US are made by Smith and Wesson.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3> Yes, there are Walther PPKs made in Germany, just not marketed here. Having a licensed maker here is cheaper and easier than importing them.
  • ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok. I also have a '72 made in West Germany PPK/S The word "Interarms" is on the right side of the slide. What do I really have? Are guns LIEK THAT still made today in Germany?
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    A German made Walther imported by Interarms.
    No, Interarms went out of business.
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...well, does WALTHER in GERMANY still make the PPK and/or PPK/S?

Thanks,
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ap3572001
    Ok. I also have a '72 made in West Germany PPK/S The word "Interarms" is on the right side of the slide. What do I really have? Are guns LIEK THAT still made today in Germany?

I'll bet (not alot of $$$ though) that if you look on the butt behind the mag well opening you'll see "Made if France" stamped there - meaning manufactured by Manhurin, a company that has manufactured under license for Walther for quite some time.
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:...well, does WALTHER in GERMANY still make the PPK and/or PPK/S?

No, Walther no longer makes the PPK or PPK/S. Only the PP, and maybe the PPK/E I believe.

S&W makes the current PPK and PPK/S, these are made in the U.S.

Interarms PPKs were both Made in Germany and U.S. made, depending on the year. Interarms both imported and manufactured.

In the 1950's into the 60's, Manurhin of France made The PP line under license by Walther because Germany was prevented from having an arms industry. That changed and Walther opened a new facility in Ulm Germany around 1963. The French made guns usually marked made in france and/or Manurhin.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BigLoop22
    ...well, does WALTHER in GERMANY still make the PPK and/or PPK/S?

Thanks,

The PPK/S was only for the US market to get around the GCA68 requirements. They were made in West Germany and imported BY Interarms , then later made here in the US FOR Interarms.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a PPK is marked Interarms "Made in USA", then it was manufactured by Interarms in the US. If a PPK is marked "Ulm/Donau", whether or not it has an Interarms stamp, it is German.

Most, if not all, PP's & PPK's marked "Made in W Germany" were actually manufactured by Manurhin in France, & assembled at the Walther plant in Ulm. I have heard that PP's & PPK's were eventually manufactured completely in Ulm, but I have seen no evidence that this is so, & don't know how you would tell the difference.

Neal
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for NMyers.

In Europe, the country where the Walthers are finished can be stamped as the country of manufacture. Even the German ones started in France