In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1914 made Springfield 1911 mag problem...

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
From the sunny south [8D],

I have a customer with me who says that he has a Springfield 1911 made in 1914 and that the two Colt mags he has for it, and two aftermarket mags, don't seem tall enough up to the feed ramp. Aside from some obvious modern versions of different grip height, would the 1914 Springfield NOT match up mags with other brands?

Thanks,
Jim
GunHawke

Comments

• CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GunHawke
    From the sunny south [8D],

I have a customer with me who says that he has a Springfield 1911 made in 1914 and that the two Colt mags he has for it, and two aftermarket mags, don't seem tall enough up to the feed ramp. Aside from some obvious modern versions of different grip height, would the 1914 Springfield NOT match up mags with other brands?

Thanks,
    Jim
    GunHawke

Its my understanding that Springfield did not make frames during this time period. He may have a Colt frame with a Springfield slide? The standard 1911 mags should work in his pistol. I have a Colt frame from the same era, it was reworked by Augusta Arsenal and has a Springfield slide, not a Colt manufactured slide.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chris makes some good points.

The customer could also have a Filipino POS frame that he thinks is a Springfield, or, worst case, a frame that has been modified by grinding away the feed ramp to shoot the Tokarev 7.62 x 25 cartridge.

Bottom line, you need to see the gun.

Neal

"Believe nothing that you hear, & only half of what you see."
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello one of the first things to look at is the MAGAZINE release this may have been changed out to a after market BIG BUTTON piece of crap or one out of spec. also it could have an aftermarket tapered mag well extension installed . sounds like BUBBA the BLACK SMITH has been changing parts to help make this a better pistol then the one Browning designed. With some pictures of the frame and serial number we may be able to identify what he really has.