In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A silly Muzzle Loader Question

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I may have messed up! And need to find out before tomorrow morning as tomorrow is opening day for muzzle loaders.

When I bought my Triple Seven pellets I accidently grabbed 45/50's and I am shooting a 50cal.

Can I use the 45/50's instead of the 50/50's?

They are the same grain but one is just a little narrower than the other.

Comments

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Acording to Hodgdon Customer Service, you can use 45/50s in a 50 cal. Your point of impact may change, but ignition should be fine and there is no worry of detonation.

913-362-9455
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Acording to Hodgdon Customer Service, you can use 45/50s in a 50 cal. Your point of impact may change, but ignition should be fine and there is no worry of detonation.

913-362-9455
    Thank you Sir![:D]
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will go out on a limb and say that your accuracy may suffer. You are no longer "packing" the bore in front of the breech plug. The pressure from seating the sabot will hold the pellets in place, but they may not line up with the ignition hole since they are 45cal instead of 50cal. That will allow them to slide from one side to another before having the sabot hold them in place.

You can shoot 5x or so to see,...but once you open the pack, it's yours[;)]