In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dry Firing

JBJB Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Why can some guns be dry-fired and others not? How do you tell which ones can?

Comments

• JBJB Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have talk to people that tell me two different stories about dry firing a gun. So say no big deal others tell me to get those mock shells to use so that the pin is hitting something what is your advice
    edited November -1
    OK heres the ? My buddy just gets a new Taurus PT 911. Real nice little gun with a major trigger pull. I suggested dry firing the thing all night long as he watches TV an d it might smooth out(a little). He reads the book and it says DO NOT DRY FIRE. Any opinions. This is a hammerless double action only gun, Striker fired is my guess.
    edited November -1
    i have heard conflicting opinions on whether or not dry firing a gun (of any type) is bad for the gun. some say it's ok on centerfire but not rimfire. some say it's ok on rimfire but not on centerfire. without even bringing snap caps or things like that into the picture, who is right? is it ok on one and not the other, ok on both or on neither. thanks in advance for your answers
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't dry fire, not no way, not no how!
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do a *lot* of dry firing but (almost as big a but as my butt) I **always** use snap caps. Or, more accurately, I have always used snap caps since I snapped off a firing pin on one firearm.
  • gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oddly enough, the Kimber manual says NOT to let the hammer down slow. It says instead to dry fire. Any opinions on this? KimberKid? Also another split opinion is to whether dropping the slide without a round in the mag is harmful. I say, don't do either, just to be safe.-Marcus
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Put a snap cap in it and go to town. I agree, don't "dry fire" it.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Keltecs have been dry fired about a zillion times without any ill effects.If it bothers your friend tell him to invest in a package of snap caps.
    ATF
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with (hopefully) Dr. SaxonPig and Iconoclast. In the last case if he is not at least a 3xL he ain't in my leage as far as butts go.
  • metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the manual says don't, uhh, don't. Other guns, such as the Glock says you may(these are fewer than the dont's, most are don't dry fire). A snap cap removes doubt.Andy
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the good input. I have passed it on.