In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1x scopes

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
A friend said he is going to buy a low power scope of 1x.He thinks it is a very low magnification.I told him I thought that would be no magnification because; 1 x 1 = 1 Who is right?

Comments

• AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You both are. 1x is ostensibly no magnification, which is very low indeed.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great for "in the woods" hunting were it's dense/woody/brushy, and fast short range shots less than 100 yds., on medium sized game like deer, tactical human situations.Fabulous for handguns.Enlarged FOV.Huge exit pupil.Fast target aquisition.Very crisp-clear after adjusted correctly.All red dots, reflex sights are 1x, except for Aimpoint 50002X.Check it out when it's set up. Let me know what you think.
    Happy Bullet Holes!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a leupold/gilmore red dot 35mm 1x on a desert eagle, this is the only way to go when on a handgun. I have also used them on the in-line muzzle loaders due to their decreased distance capability. The short range gun and the woods gun are happy with thsese
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Why do they not call them 0x power ?
  • spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    'cause (the way I learned it) "nuthin times somethin is still nuthin."Higher math I guess.[This message has been edited by spclark (edited 10-31-2001).]
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually a true 1x scope decreases the magnification of the view. To truly get a 1X view, you need a scope with the power of 1.2X.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i KNEW them deer i was looking at was 20% bigger than i thought!
  • Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FOV is mainly determined by the sizing of the occular lens. Power does affect the FOV to some extent, but if a larger FOV is desired a larger occular will give a larger FOV. Therefore, each manufacturer can have a different FOV at the exact same power depending on the scope occular dimensions.
    Happy Bullet Holes!