In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Revolver won't fire

littleredroosterlittleredrooster Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
It's not safe to keep 6 + P loads in my Titan Tiger .38? It seems like good, heavy steel... unlike a Bulldog or even a Taurus. I don't fire them regularly, just for protection. One round (that did go off) was fine! What should I use if +p's are too hot? Also, I DID notice that the firing pin isn't hitting the dead center of the primers... rather it's off a hair. Is it supposed to be off like that?Thanks[This message has been edited by littleredrooster (edited 11-01-2001).][This message has been edited by littleredrooster (edited 11-01-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have seen these particular guns that had short pins. When I had a unimat I would face off the shoulder a hair.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are both great replies from two people with much more knowledge than I. I would also suggest making sure the gun is clean and there is no dried oil or grease in the action slowing the hammer fall or the movement of the firing pin. I've bought quite a few guns cheap because they were malfunctioning. But they were only dirty not broken.
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the screw on the front of the cylindar crane. I had one of these a couple of years ago. Everytime I opened and closed the gun to eject old empty shells and load new ones that screw would back out just a little. After a couple of times it was out enough that the hammer wouldn't hit the primer hard enough to fire the round. I eventually used Locktite on the screw to keep it in place and never had that trouble again.
  • Options
    toastmonkeytoastmonkey Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would agree with woodsrunner. When I went to armorer school the gunsmith that taught it emphasized that most problems are caused by 1. Dirt 2. Ammo 3. Parts. in that order. I would recommend that you pull the grips and spray every nook & cranny with gunscrubber. Brake cleaner is the same basic product at half the price. If you are not comfortable with disassembly do not go farther than that. You will need to lightly lubricate it after that as the gunscrubber is a degreaser. I would also hesitate to use +P in that revolver unless it is marked for it.
  • Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might also check to see if the hammer is falling straight onto the firing pin, or is it hitting the frame on one side as it falls, thus moderating the impact. If so, you will see drag marks on one side of the hammer, and a bright area in the frame cutout. Also recommend that you discontinue the use of plus-P ammo in this piece.
  • Options
    jacksvjacksv Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually I wouldn't fire any Titan gun. I never have seen a well made one.
    Jack www.northamptongolf.com
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely, the hammer fall is too light for the harder +P primers and the hammer spring needs to be tightened, shimmed or replaced with a stronger spring.I doubt the revolver would blow up with +P ammo but it very likely might start seriously loosening up and start losing and breaking small parts before long.The next to worse case scenario would be that the frame stretches forward and the firing pin cant reach the primer.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On rereading your post you say the firing pin strikes off center- "a hair".With the revolver empty, pull the trigger while putting drag on the cylinder and see if the hammer falls before the cylinder is locked up. Next, cock the hammer slowly with drag on the cylinder and see if the cylinder locks up by the time the hammer is cocked.If the answer is yes to 1 and no to 2 you need gunsmithing to fix the timing.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speer gold dot hollow points or Federal Hydro Shok are great for defense and are much safer in non +p guns. Accurate too!