In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hi Cap Mags

a191145a191145 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I had a "spirited discussion" (argument) with a buddy last night about pre ban high capacity mags. He claims that it is illegal to put a hi-cap in a post ban gun - I disagree. Who is right? This may seem like a dumb question, but it is really bugging me. Thanks for your input. Shoot straight!

Comments

• a191145a191145 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of hi-capacity magazines(13 rounds) and was wondering if I can leagally sell them to individuals,or only to FFL dealers.If I can sell to individuals,are there any states I can't sell to? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Guys, This has come up a couple of times before and I didn't get any strong feedback. I went to the Indy 1500 show today and was looking at a Ruger P-89. The dealer said it was legal to put a hi cap mag in this gun even though it was made after '94. I have a large amount of hi cap mags (of various types) but I thought they were only legal in a pre '94 piece. Who was right? Does the same rule apply to AR's and AK's? Thanks in advance.
    cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    edited November -1
    hey guys! i'm new to this forum. is it legal to put a 92 hi cap mag in a HS2000? i sure hope so, because i'm already carrying 1 thanx
    edited November -1
    I am going out of the country soon to places where hi cap mags are legal. If I was to purchase one or two for personal use and bring it home with me would that be legal?
    Taste my Wind Fist!
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been down this road. Yes, you can put a hi cap in the HS2000. I'm speaking of fed. laws here. Your state or city might have other ideas. Where did you get the hi cap mag? What were they originaly made to fit?
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
    edited November -1
    Berreta 92 mags fit, a little narrower at thoart of mag, & also plastic follower is wearing down, so the last shot hold open device doesn't engage. this mag is a cheap aftermarket one, wanted to try this out first before altering a more expensive one. any suggestions on mag follower would be helpful! thanx a191145
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    You might want to check legality of altering or modifying a pre-ban hi cap to fit a differant gun. Seem to remember that this was viewed as manufacturing a new hi cap magazine.If it works without alteration or modification I am sure it is legal. If not?? Kinda like a post-ban 10 round glock with a plus two extension. According to local ATF that is an absolute no no.
    AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My local dealer tells me that mags can be altered. The key is that they can't be altered in a way that prevents them from working in the piece for which they were designed. The '94 ban was on the mfg. of hi cap mags not hi cap guns.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see in ShotGun News Pre-Ban drums what have been converted to fit other guns all the time, such as Russian PPsh-41(7.62X25) & 9mm Sumoi(sp?) converted to fit the 9mm AR, HK-94, Uzi and others ... if it was illegal I doubt they would be putting in 1/4-1/2page ads telling the world about them ... and they certinly wont fit the original weapons after the modification ... the PPsh drum costs $39.95 at Inter-Ordinance.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
    edited November -1
    oh yea!! i forgot to mention after altering 92 mag for HS2000 they still work fine in the Berreta. very nice indeed! watch out Glock! HS2000 is great gun for apporx. half the price. now if i can just find a high quality holster. suggestions are welcomed very much.