In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

laws in Oregon

gurngurn Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Got orders, what is the gun culture like, and what are the gun laws in Oregon? I hope it's not one of those states that you have to hide from an intruder before you can shoot them in your own home. Thanks for any info. Gurn

Comments

• Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    e-mail http//www.dfw.state.or.uswelcome to oregUn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link, but I don't hunt. I was looking for info like how to legally have a gun in your car or concealed on your person.
  • Options
    billmibillmi Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello i'm new here but I thought I might help. here in orygun it is illegal to carry concealed without a permit to get permit you have to be a resident for one year. and the law says you have to run instead of shoot even in your own stinkin house. clinton is proud
    gun control means using two hands!
  • Options
    350RemMag350RemMag Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had my concealed carry permit for over 15 yrs. You must apply thru county sherrif. Usually an easier process in more rural counties . This usually involves an 8 hr class and a range session. Cost probably $125 to $150. Permit good for 4 yrs, renewal is $50.00. The law says you can shoot if you fear for your life or your families. another words, make sure they are in your home, shot in the front and they had a weapon in their hand. The laws governing gun shows just changed, now any gun sale at a gun show must have a background check. This change has basically ruined gun shows in this state. Hope this helps .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, thank you. Do active duty military have to take the class or wait a year?
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gurn--I'm and Oregon resident and dealer (also ex-Hunter Ed instructor) so here's the straight scoop. Everything 350RemMag told you is correct. All in all, concealed carry permits are easy to get. The county I live in will consider military training if appropriate when issuing a permit. If your MOS is truck driving, probably not. If you're an MP or Infantry, probably yes. Prior police, definately yes. It varies with the county and policy of the local Sheriff. Anyway, the place to start is to take the CCW course which is offerred in many localities by many private parties, some JR Colleges, etc. The instructor must be NRA Certified. The course is a minimum or 8 hours but can be several hours longer at the descretion of the instructor. Some will require live fire, and some only classroom. The course covers safety and laws concerning when a citizen is justified in using a weapon. The fee for the course varies and is at the descretion of the instructor. $25 is a low, on up to $100 with $50 being average. Shop around. When you get your certificate you go to the Sheriff's Dept. and pay the permit fee($50 average), get fingerprinted, photographed, and wait a couple of weeks until the background is done (sometimes up to 6 weeks) and wait for your permit to arrive in the mail. Then you're good for 4 years. The law here reads that they must issue the permit upon successful completion of the safety course, payment of the fee, and successful passing of the background check. As for carrying without a permit, GENERALLY, one may carry a fully loaded (round in the chamber) weapon as long as it is in plain sight. No, it is not common to see an individual carrying a pistol in a holster down a city street (and one must be aware of local laws) but in many towns it is not illegal. You would definately be stopped and checked out by the local gendarmes. It is very common to see folks in small towns and rural areas with a handgun displayed on the dashboard or front seat and a rifle and/or shotgun in the rear window rifle rack. Completely legal. The minute it is concealed and you don't have a permit you are in trouble. As for purchases, all firearms are given the "Instant Check" treatment by the Oregon State Police. You walk in the gun shop, pick out the one you want, fill out the Federal 4473 form, give your thumbprints, the dealer calls OSP, and 5 minutes later you're out the door. OSP is proving much more efficient with less delays and hassles than the FBI check was. There is a $9 fee for the check. We do have defacto gun registration--OSP is retaining the record of sales for 5 years, and I don't doubt that by the time the 5 years expires they will find a way to keep them permanently. 350RemMag's advice about self-defense is also good. Every year I observe several reports in the newspapers about self-defense shootings that are not prosecuted. I've also read several accounts of shootings where the shooter was not in real jeopardy that were prosecuted. Also, they're pretty efficient about enforcing the domestic violence-no gun business and ex-felon in possession laws. You said that you're not a hunter, but there is good hunting here, and many places to shoot. Best Wishes, hope you enjoy your tour of duty here.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Were you ready for that answer??A fine job and very complete.I am greatly impressed by that gentleman who without a shadow of doubt is a real expert.I doff my hat to you.I omly wish I could pronounce his damned handle. modocDerGebirgsjager,I would have to guess German, Please let us know what the translation is.Thanks,modoc[This message has been edited by modoc (edited 11-03-2001).]
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why, thank you Sir; and I can only say that I was equally impressed with your answer concerning carbon steel blade knives, with which I am in complete agreement. Der Gebirgsjager is indeed German and translates as The Mountain Hunter. And the name Modoc? Being a political refugee from Kalifornia (didn't want to live in a Communist Country), I am aware of Modoc Indians, the Lava Beds, and Modoc County. ?????????