In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Benchmade, Spyderco or Cold Steel?

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Are these knives comparable in quality? Does anyone know of any problems with them? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Ditto!
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have carried a Spyderco Clipit Endura with full serrated blade as my duty knife for going on 6 years. It an excellent knife and has done everything I have asked of it. It is tough, light and stays sharp through use. I'm sure the others are fine, but my experience with the Spyderco has been first rate.
  • NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have no complaints about spiderco knives. They are so sharp when they are new that I didnt even realise I cut myself, 10 stiches to fix that boo boo.I know have 2 other spiderco knives, guess I didnt learn my lesson the first time.
  • LimpyLimpy Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard that Benchmade uses a little higher quality metal in their knifes compared to SpyderCo. Overall they're really close in quality. Just depends which one feels good in the hand. I personally love my SpyderCo "police" modal and never had a problem. A friend loves his Benchmade just because he likes it's locking mechnisims and it's ease of opening. To each his own, but all are very close in quality.- limp
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1) Benchmade2) Spyderco3) Cold Steel4) everyone else's production knifeimho[This message has been edited by axlerfan (edited 10-31-2001).]
  • 25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, do not waste your money on Benchmades with ATS-34 steel. I have had three of them and none of them would stay sharp. You could not open six to eight cardboard boxes and they would go dull. The best buy, in my opinion, would be a Kershaw. I have the model 1550 with the assisted blade opening and like it very much. It lasts at least three times longer than the blades of ATS-34.I know some of the knife catalogs like A. G. Russel are high on ATS-34 and that is why I bought one. Did not learn any leasons, had to try two more, and none of them were any good. Kershaws cost about 1/2 of what a Benchmade costs and the quality is every bit as good.
  • modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot depends on the usage it will receive.For the modern knives you can shave with any of the top brands.But how often do you need to shave with them.As far as I am concerned none of the above mentioned knives have a working blade.They are all too thin amd the edges chip off much too easily.Plus when they are dull they need a machine to resharpen.I suppose that us old farts from the old school just aren't up to snuff as it were,but give me a high carbon work blade anytime.When they get dull from work,you find a nice flat stone and sharpen them and use the top of your boot to strop them.Then you have a new edge that will do real work.They were nade by those old quaint names like Winchester.Remington,Wostenholm,Rodgers,Union Cut.,Marbles,W.R.Case,Heinkles,Boker, Cattaragus,Western States,and on hell of a lot more that would take too much more space.Grab on to one of them and you will have a knife that you can count on and have pride in.leave the stainsless for hubcaps and bumpers.modoc.
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25-06 i dont wish to start anything, but i must disagree with you on this. i have a kershaw whirlwind knife, and have found the blade to be much softer than that of my benchmades. i have a benchmade boguzuski spike i carry regularly, and have never had a problem with it staying sharp (its used as an everyday tool, opening boxes, stripping wire, cutting plastics and wood) true it cant shave hairs after heavy use but it will stay much sharper than my kershaw. spyderco is a fine knife, i have a few of them, my only objection to them being they are made in japan, while benchmade is made in the usa. either however is an excellent product.