In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Springfield M1A - good choice?

imadorkimadork Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I live in California and I obviously can't get the M4 that I want, so I'm wondering if the M1A is the rifle it's cracked up to be...my experience has been limited to shotguns and smaller caliber rifles, and I'm looking for a "jack of all trades" rifle to supplement my current collection with a weapon that can be used for sport shooting, competition, hunting, defense, and anything else that might arise. Is the M1A a good choice? If not, what about the M1A "Scout" model with 18" instead of 22" barrel? Are these rifles exceptionally heavy or unwieldy? I appreciate any information you might be able to share with me.

Comments

• ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an M1A Standard, I live in Mass and one of my reasons for buying it was to have something with alot of firepower that stands less chance of becoming illegal, as we're on the same road you guys are. Still snagged a few 20 round mags, but they have a bill being debated right now to ban anymore highcap mag sales here...I think considering you live in Ca., an M1A or M1A Scout, with 2-3 10 round mags for defense, and a 5 rounder for hunting, would be a great choice.The M1A is bulky, and unweildy in a confined space compared to a mini-14 or SAR-1, but I think the Scout is the best thing going in states where our freedom is being chipped away. Alot of firepower under the circumstances.
  • PhilPhil Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to do better. You'll be able to shoot accurately at distances an AR or AK wouldn't be able to hit within 50 yards of.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excuse me Phil ... but hasn't the AR-15 beat out the M-14 in the 1000 yard competition at the Camp Perry Nationals a couple of times???
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimber, not sure, but I doubt it. The .223 to carry that far accurate like......400yds it's sweet at 600 my .308's surpass it by a great margin (just an opinion from my collection). I have a 24" fluted HB on my AR and it just seems to float 'em after 500+/-. Could be me or the round or evan the gun, but with my guns and me as the shooter I am significantly more accurate with the .308's. Hell evan my Garand prints better way out there and it's a CAI. Andy
  • PhilPhil Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Compare the configurations of the rifles used there.While you're technically right,I was referring to out-of-the-box-stock rifles that any working slob can afford.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Phil, I just had to throw that in! Those AR at Perry were custom to the hilt, shooting 80 grain Sierra's. As you as said out of the box, distance/acccuracy goes to the M-14 hands down
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M1A is basicaly an M-14. It has proven itslef in battle and as a semi-auto sniper weapon at over 1000 meters (other configuration of course). Light enough to be carried even with the long barrel. I don't like short barrel versions of anything, I would go for the full size version, better groups and higher muzzle velocity. If you can, take the time to look around and find the LOADED model with the better sights and barrel. only a little more $$$, much more weapon!!!
  • Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    JustC has it right. The M1A beats the AR in almost any category you can think of from power to range to ergonomics. Plus there ain't much you can hunt with the .223.
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC and Shootist3006 are right on the money. It is a heavier rifle than any bolt action or the Browning and Rem semi autos. However, you are not taking this rifle on an extended backpacking trip. A few hundred yards into the deer woods is NOT a chore when you consider the quality of arm you are toting. I own two SA M1As...I'd buy a third if a good offer comes around.
  • TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DOES THE M1A BEAT THE AR-10 HANDS DOWN? IN 308???