In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Update S&W 500 compensator 4"

ViperMDViperMD Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hello all. I have received the revolver back from S&W as stated in previos post. I have since put 100rds through it 275gr,350gr,500gr, and it has worked well- COMPENSATOR has remained tight and the gun continues to be more accurate than I am. Regards, ViperMD.

Comments

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    500gr in a 4", no thanks!
    heard that is a common prob.
    are you hunting w/ it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    500gr in a 4", no thanks!
    heard that is a common prob.
    are you hunting w/ it?
    I just did a post that got lost!? I find the 4" to have less FELT recoil than the 83/8. I think it is secondary to decreased velocity and better balance of the 4". I need to compare them side by side with chrono, then calculate recoil impulse and momentum. I do plan on hunting bear/deer with 350XTP. The 500's are more for the ground squirrels!! There is a load out by Ballistic Supply- 700gr hardcast which will be great for the local T-REX in the area. NOTE-S&W said that loose comps on the 4" were NOT common??? Anyone else with a loose comp?? Regards, ViperMD.
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ViperMD

I have a 4 incher and an 8 3/8, plus an NEF handi-Rifle in SW500. I found the Rifle to have the strongest recoil, the 4 incher second, and the 8 3/8 inch the least felt recoil in side-by side comparison. On chrono the Rifle was fastest then the 8 3/8 and the 4 inch slowest. The spread was only about 75fps if I recall. The velocities followed barrel length predicitons but the subjective felt recoil did not follow gun weight predictions. This may not hold true for all powders though--these are with 30 grain of H4227 pushing a 330 grain rnfp lead bullet. Larger or slower burning charges might produce different results.

I haven't had any compensator problems and I now know that the Comp screw is left-hand threaded--thanks to you.

I did have to send my 8 3/8 inch for servicing with indexing failure. The gun would allow the hammer to be cocked an dropped on a spent round until manually rotated. I was afraid it might allow a discharge without the cyllinder being docked in alignment with the barrel. With that much energy I didn't want to take any chances. This problem occured at around 6-7,000 rounds of firing. S&W service was excellent!! They sent me a pre-paid UPS shipping voucher--total turn-around less than 1 week!!!

Rusty
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    No loose comp on our 4"- Have put probably 500+handloads through it - many pretty hefty
    and have never had a problem. We all absolutely love the 500 and prefer the 4" over the 8 3/8" ... it's easier to unholster in an emergency. Since we spend time up in Alaska, you can probably figure out what I'm talking about. Never have had the problem .... and don't care to find out the hard way if we do..[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rusty: The standard thread is supposed to be a RT Hand thread, But according to S&W you actually tighten the comp as you back out the screw, over tightenting (clockwise) will allow the comp to move over the screw or break it due to the recoil forces. I appreciate the info on the different bbl lengths. So it follows that recoil that recoil should be greater with the 4" according to physics. Possibly the balance just makes it feel less to me. Thank You, ViperMD.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    No loose comp on our 4"- Have put probably 500+handloads through it - many pretty hefty
    and have never had a problem. We all absolutely love the 500 and prefer the 4" over the 8 3/8" ... it's easier to unholster in an emergency. Since we spend time up in Alaska, you can probably figure out what I'm talking about. Never have had the problem .... and don't care to find out the hard way if we do..[8D]
    ZZ: I had a beautiful custom 657, manaport,ssk action, target night sights, great gun but it was too long for comfotable carry. The 4" 500 rides well with a good holster/belt combination. It has replaced the 629 temporaily till I can move back and forth between them and it be second nature in feel/accuracy. I would love to hunt brown/griz sometime, the few bear I see are running the other way and would serve as a snack for your bears, Be Safe, ViperMD.
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be that (depending on powder burn rate) your velocity in the 4 inch is considerably less than in the 8 3/8. A bullet might exit a smaller barrel before the powder charge is fully converted to gas--ie some of the energy might be wasted. You really would experience less felt recoil if this is the case. You'll have to chrono to know for sure. Ever wondered why those 40mm pistols seem so damn loud????[:D]

BTW When did you get an 8 3/8??