In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1A Match?

jcook01jcook01 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just won this auction, Auction #55030058, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=55030058 , and didn't notice until too late that the sites in the picture did not appear to be hooded, and that the flash suppressor doesn't appear to be the same as those currently shown on Springfields website.

The suppressor does appear to match that used on the original SOCOMM, so I'm guessing this is an older match grade Springfield. Any guesses at to when it may have been made? I'll have to contact Springfield with the receiver no. to get the real story but curiosity is killing me.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards, John

Comments

• bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you got hosed. that is NOT an M1A flash supressor and the rear sight is just a rack grade peep. ask the owner if he is selling the actual gun pictured. he advertised hooded peep. it is obviously not. the rear sight base should be marked on the right side NM. ask if it is. and where is the 20 round mag??? ill bet a dollar to donut 1/2 that gun is cast parts from china.[:(]
    the serial looks like either 026 or 126xxx.
    if its 026 its around early 90's. if its 126, its late 90's closer to 2000 era.
    the bbl you have sounds like a usgi NM bbl for 173gr special ball from the 60's.
    all major parts should have NM on them:
    trigger group
    op rod
    bbl
    rear sight
    front sight blade
    bolt
    but the 10rd mag and weird suppressor make sme think its just a parts gun.[:(]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • jcook01jcook01 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I haven't sent payment yet, what else in addition to the markings on the side would you suggest I ask about?

Thanks
    edited November -1
    Bobski

Hey thanks for the help, sounds like I might have stepped into something...[:0]

When you say all of the parts above should be marked NM do you mean literrally stamped with the capital letters "NM"?

Thanks again, John
    edited November -1
    ask if its glass bedded.
    ask if it has a cleaner kit on the stock.
    ask if the gas piston is polished.
    ask if the gas system is screwed or welded IAW NM specs.
    ask if its lugged.
    wheres the leather sling?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    YES.

NM will be in the metal.

i always thought NM sights were 1/4 click. i could be old and fuzzy.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    This is probably not much help but I pulled these specs. off one of my wholesalers sites. Except for the suppressor it looks the same. Pic. shows a 20rd. mag. but clearly comes with a 10rd.

27447.jpg

SPRINGFIELD INC M1A National Match Semi Automatic

Springfield's National Match rifle offers incredible competition performance with features such as air gauged national match medium weight barrel, custom match grade op-rod and recoil spring guides, national match gas system assembly, national match front sight, national match hooded rear sight assembly, national match trigger assembly and flash suppressor.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Mfg Item Num: NA9102
    Category: FIREARMS - RIFLES
    Action: Semi-Automatic
    Caliber: 308 Winchester
    Barrel Length: 22"
    Capacity: 10 + 1
    Trigger: Two stage military
    Safety: Trigger guard safety
    Length: 44 1/3"
    Weight: 10 3/4 lbs
    Stock: Walnut
    Finish: Black

Ben
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jbw1776
    This is probably not much help but I pulled these specs. off one of my wholesalers sites. Except for the suppressor it looks the same to me. Pic. shows a 20rd. mag. but clearly comes with a 10rd. And yes it's suposed to be glass bedded, this description just doesn't say it.

27447.jpg

SPRINGFIELD INC M1A National Match Semi Automatic

Springfield's National Match rifle offers incredible competition performance with features such as air gauged national match medium weight barrel, custom match grade op-rod and recoil spring guides, national match gas system assembly, national match front sight, national match hooded rear sight assembly, national match trigger assembly and flash suppressor.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Mfg Item Num: NA9102
    Category: FIREARMS - RIFLES
    Action: Semi-Automatic
    Caliber: 308 Winchester
    Barrel Length: 22"
    Capacity: 10 + 1
    Trigger: Two stage military
    Safety: Trigger guard safety
    Length: 44 1/3"
    Weight: 10 3/4 lbs
    Stock: Walnut
    Finish: Black

Ben

Hit the quote button insead of the edit button[:I][B)]
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the SA Inc "California" muzzle brake, intended to comply with the state ban on flash suppressors.

Neal
    edited November -1
    The suppressor explanation is easy to accept and probably accurate but the lack of hooded national match sites begs the question what else isn't as advertised.

The seller did state that the pictures were taken from this firearm.

Does Springfield keeps records on original serial no. configurations, i.e. if I had the receiver serial no. would Sprngfield know how it was originally configured when it left the factory?

Thanks for the feedback...appreciate it.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well it does have the medium weight national match barrel, it already has the nm front sight. Your looking at maybe $200 to put on a flashhider and a n/m rear sight. I don't think you got ripped off necessarily. The barrel is the key factor your paying for. It is a national match rifle according to the specs. Springfield Armory does not glass bed their national match rifle, you actually have to step up to the super match to get that. Not to mention that the standard national match model retails for $2k.

Here is a link to springfields website, play close attention to the specs http://www.springfield-armory.com/*-rifles-national.shtml
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How does the seller advertise it as a "Fantastic" Shooter when it says it is factory new? Should be advertised as a used gun
    edited November -1
    based on the other inputs, this sounds like a calif special. s.a. most likely intended for that gun to be sold in calif.. i just dont feel good about that gun. it just doesnt seem right. jbw's pasted pic of an M1A looks right and makes me feel good.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    At this point in time how do I know it has the national match barrel other than by reading the model description listed in the auction, which by the way matches Springfields description "word for word."

I've asked the seller to look the rifle over and provide "NM" feedback on specific items, currently waiting for a reply.

Thanks
    edited November -1
    standard NM bbls are marked NM and are medium weight bbls. its hard not to miss that. have him drop the trigger guard and look for NM marks on the trigger group.
    have him take off the op rod spring and guide and see if the guide is pencil shaped instead of a flat piece of metal like a ruler. NM guides are rounded. have him take off the gas piston nut and see ifthe gas piston is polished bright, not blued.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.