In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rossi 357 rifle

sherpasherpa Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
trying to find value. i have owned it for about 15/16 years and have shot it 3 times one wad cutter one simi wad cutter and one .357. it has some dings from moving three times

ttp:/IMG_0750.jpg
IMG_0752.jpgIMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I can't say I am a fan of Rossi as a rule but that is a gret looking rifle with much better wood then I normally see on these guns. I would say $400.00 plus.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    they are nice shooters and I agree with perry on price but wih is that silver disc on the side (btw I like the moticriso's too[:D]).
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto on wood and perryshooters $$ estimate. I had one that was a bit rough inside. Made a winter project of completely disassembling it and eliminating a number of burrs and rough spots; lots of time with the Arkansas hardstone, and it ended up being a very smooth nice working little rifle. Shouldn't have sold it. Will likely pick up another one day.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That litle disc had or has a picture of a cougar on it.the carbines were called rossi cougars as I recall.
    Very nice cowboy action rifle or Hog gun.I'd pay 400 for an older one in that condition.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    What a good looking stock on your Rossi .357! I looked at your photo and then went deep into the gun safe to dig mine out and it has nothing like that good looking stock on it! Although nice, it is just Brazilian walnut.I have to admit that when I bought mine years ago I just put it up in the safe and have never shot it. Sounds like I am going to have to work on it to make it a good shooter! I'm thinking that yours with that attractive stock and medal on the receiver is some sort of a special comm/presentation model. Any idea what the medal was (or is)? Did it fall out or taken out? As far as value, I agree with the $400+ estimate with the attractive presentation stock. My local gunshop has one in the rack for sale for $450 and it is not as attractive as yours. Good shooting!
  • sherpasherpa Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replys. the disc was like that when i got it.
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gents,

The silver disc used to hold a high-relief "Puma" head. Some people do not like that medalion. I find it looks a little out of place.

I do not know if it was Rossi that came up with the "Puma" name & likeness, or if it was Interarms that did it. Right now, Legacy Sports International uses the name "Puma" for several kinds of guns that it sells. They used to sell Rossi-made 92s. The Taurus takeover of Rossi put an end to that. LSI recently started selling Armi Sport/ Chiappa Model 92s, and they are calling those Pumas, just like they did with the Rossi-made guns. I have read that LSI is the successor to Interarms, so holding on to the Puma brand makes since.

I have, and have worked on, Rossi 92s. They are good rifles, but sometimes need a little tweaking. $350.00-to-$450.00 is a good pricerange for what you have there, sherpa. ...and, your wood stocks look quite nice, too.[;)]