In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR-10 Question

bait dunkerbait dunker Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is there any reason why a DPMS .308 barrel would not fit on a Armalite upper receiver.??? The receivers themselves do not inter change because of the lower receiver cuts are different. Would there possibly be a head space night mare here. Has any one tried or done this??

Comments

• bait dunkerbait dunker Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm currently looking at buying an AR-10. Ive located 2 that Im considering buying. One is an Armalite flat top and the other is a DPMS, they are practically identical except the DPMS has the 6 way stock and an aftermarket trigger. Quality wise how do these rifles compare? I dont mind spending a little extra for a quality rifle. These two rifles are within $100 of eachother. Any opinions from owners?
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I prefer ARs. I have one in .243 and another in .308
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I would go Armalite, pretty sure they originated the AR-10 and have heard nothing but good things about them. check over on ar15.com and do a search on ar 10 to see what they say.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually the AR-10 was another Stoner creation. It was originally produced by Knights Armament, then a host of others joined in if my memory serves me. If not I hope someone jogs it for me.

The DPMS are rated so far as top shelf. Most of the others like RRA, and Armalite are good also, and they take FAL or M-14 magazines, while the DPMS, R-25 Remington, and the Fulton guns take ones like the original Stoner. Check the posts on the DPMS LR-308 that I have asked within the last two days...

Best
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bait dunker,

I know people say the DPMS's are rated pretty good but I would cycle everything though. If you feel any catches in the action give up that rifle. If you don't feel any it's a good rifle. The reason I say this was I was trying out a bunch of DPMS rifles up in Minnetonka a few years ago and several of them were binding when you cycled the action. I wasn't impressed to say the least. Most all of the newer ones I've looked at didn't do that.

As for Armalite, I've nothing but luck with them.
  • ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The AR-10 was Eugene Stoner's creation which was the format for the AR-15, M-16, Knight's SR-25. Here's 2 links to check out. The Fairchild promotion film is interesting along with getting to see Mr.Stoner with his creation in action. More history is in the library on the Armalite site.

http://www.archive.org/details/AR10_Promotion

http://www.armalite.com/
  • justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bait dunker... I have 2 Armalite AR10's. One is the 10T model which prints ragged holes at 300m using 175gr. BTHP ammo. The other is an AR10A4C flat top carbine. It also prints tight groups with the same round. They also print under 1 MOA with 147gr. ball, military type ammo (also known as 7.62X51 NATO.)
    IMHO, (not having any experience with DPMS) the 2 Armalites I have are sweet pieces. Fit/finish is top notch and reliability is excellent. You did not indicate what model of Armalite you're looking at. Some have 1:10 twist rate barrels and some, as in my 2, have 1:11.25 twist, which will fling lighter rounds a little more accurately than a 1:10 tube. As far as I know, all DPMS .308 tubes are 1:10, which will fling all bullet weights, but are most accurate with 168gr. and heavier.
    The only 2 negatives that I have experienced with my Armalites are (1) that they are hard on brass. If you reload, the spent brass that comes out of the Armalites is usually boogered up but still reloadable. I haven't heard if the DPMS units are any kinder to .308 brass. AND (2) the Armalite mags are a little pricey, but Armalite's web site is still offering them at lower prices than found here on the Gunbroker auctions.
    Considering the minimal difference in your stated asking price, the Armalite usually commands a higher resale/collector value than the DPMS stuff.
    My advice is go with Armalite.
    I hope I've helped.
    Good Luck.
    John[8D]
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    The dpms LR-308 is close kin too the stoner SR-25, it uses the same mags as the SR-25 and has the thick walled upper.. the Armilite AR-10 is more like the modern AR-15 design, just bigger to accomdate the .308 family of cartridges.. mags for both are expensive, like 30-45$ for the dpms and 40$ and up for armilite.

I have never been a big fan of short barrel .308 carbines or rifles because of the velocity loss. (down from 2,700-2,900fps with a 20-24"BDL to 2,300-2,600fps with a 16-18"BDL).. I dislike the Armilite AR-10A4 rifle because the barrel is pincle thin under the handguards.. That usually means after the first twenty or so quick shots, the group will start stringing or spreading dramatically. Or that is the case with the one pre ban I shot.

You can get barrels & uppers from Noveske to fix that problem with the Armilite. I like the Armilite rifle design better for all around use..

http://www.noveske.com/

You could go with the DPMS, use the stock upper for home defense and still have the ability to turn it into a great long range hunting or defense rifle, Fulton Armory makes uppers that will replace the one on the DPMS rifle.. The DPMS is the better base design to build a long range rifle on, in my opion.
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/