In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.22 breech block Leige

pladsplads Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've recently acquired a .22 Leige breech block single shot with octagon barrel. a beautiful rifle with engraving on the breech block, trigger guard (which is curved and bent beautifully) and receiver. has checkering on the straight grip as well as carving on the forestock. It's missing a firing pin. No other names on it. Anybody got any idea? rarity,value, firing pins?

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    I HAVE NO IDEA AS TO VALUE, PARTS ARE NONEXISTENT. BEST TO HAVE YOUR LOCAL GUNSMITH MAKE ONE.
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like one of the bazillion .22's made in Belgium. Not likely worth enough to bother having a firing pin made. That'd cost a bundle.
    MW, shut off your caps lock.
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like maybe a Flobert rifle from your description. And yeah, parts are going to be hard to find; best bet is maybe a parts gun or make one yourself. These rifles are sometimes listed on this site and AA another site. Emery

"Well done is better than well said"
    Ben Franklin
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    MAZO Called it! Its a FLOBERT..Some of them were pretty decent...But the average is just a Clunker and Looks Good on the Wall or Mantle..
    Most were made to fire the .22BB Cap or .22CB Cap...a few were even Chambered for the .22 Short....Soft Iron and Soft Screws and Pins...Rifling did'nt last all that Long in these old Guns...and suspect mainly because of neglect in Cleaning...I've personally owned at least a Dozen Floberts over the years...Used to buy them for $10 to $50.00...Last one I owned was Last Year....Barrel was shotout and I replaced the Firing Pin and a Hinge Pin for the Breech Block...The Wood was Decent and there was some light but Crude Engraving on it..Sold it for $125.00.....The English Play Darts in the Pubs...The French Drink Wine and talk of Love in a Bistro, The Belguims and Germans Drink Beer and Target Shoot in a Beer Hall...Hence the reason for .22BB Caps and .22CB Caps....FLOBERT...pronounced 'FLOW BEAR'have been around since the 1880's and the Belgiums seem to have made the Majority of these Guns.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • pladsplads Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]Thank you to all of you. I guess the $5 I paid for it was never gonna be wasted. It is worth hundreds in conversation value (at least to me). especially now that you've described its origins. Much appreciated!
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Its Our Pleasure to be of some small help.....Thanks for being a Member of the Forums....Hope to see You Jumping in and tossing your two-bits in the water with us..........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff