In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Double Rifle

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
some where I have seen or read about a double rifle made on a savage 311 20 gauge shotgun. The caliber was 45-70 Has anyone done this, or seen any information as to the process and the regulating of the barrels?

Comments

• reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've yearned for a double barreled rifle for years. The Remington Spartan(built by a Turkish company I understand) looks to good to me true. I'm not expecting a work of art,just a servicable hunting rifle. I was thinking of a 45/70 for hogs and deer. I haven't had a chance to handle one or even see one in the flesh. If anyone has one or an opinion on one I'd appreciate some input
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington Spartan is to be sourced from Baikal in Russia.
    IF they ever get any. EAA advertised those for years and never had any to sell.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I'VE HAD ONE ON BACK-ORDER SINCE MARCH 2005[xx(]
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Like the others have stated, the spartan 45/70 is as rare as hens teeth. One of the big problems with the spartan is that it will not take anything other than low pressure loads (28,000 cup) while most decent 45/70 ammo, such as Garrett and Buffalo Bore, run in excess of 45,000 cup. If you do not mind spending a bit more money you can also look at the Kodiak Express Rifle by Davide Pedersoli.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/ArmiCategoria.aspx?CategoriaId=280&lang=en
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, 28,000 CUP is the SAAMI maximum and is all Pedersoli proofs theirs for either. Just because they will stand an overload (Will they?) does not mean you have to magnumize a deer, bear, boar gun.
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rick Dtezenrod of Quakertown, PA, is building a double rifle of considerable quality .I saw the prototype. Contact him . This double is a fine piece without the big ticket .
    Stan
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    Like the others have stated, the spartan 45/70 is as rare as hens teeth. One of the big problems with the spartan is that it will not take anything other than low pressure loads (28,000 cup) while most decent 45/70 ammo, such as Garrett and Buffalo Bore, run in excess of 45,000 cup. If you do not mind spending a bit more money you can also look at the Kodiak Express Rifle by Davide Pedersoli.

I couldn't find a price - any idea on the cost for their standard?
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:quote:
    Originally posted by Mk 19

quote:I couldn't find a price - any idea on the cost for their standard?

You can find them in the $1000 to $1200 range on the used market, I have never seen one new so I am not sure about the price. You might want to contact them and see what they are asking retial.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks - that doesn't seem like too much. Pretty reasonable actually.
  • md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If used is not a problem,how about a Valmet? (if I'm spelling it correctly) It's an O/U and you can regulate the barrels yourself. I know a guy that has one. You can also get shot barrels for the gun. Very sturdy but heavy.
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used wouldn't be a problem,but an over under just doesn't appeal to me.Just a personal thing