In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taurus Judge- Can I fire slugs?

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a brand new Taurus "Judge" ultra-lite, model 4410 chambered for .45 long colt or .410 shotgun shells(2-1/2"). Can anyone tell me, can I fire .410 slugs in this safely?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes but why? a 45 colt would be a much better choice if you want a bullet as to velocity and energy

EDIT I think if you use a chronograph you will find the pistol bullet will be higher velocity then the 410 Remember factory 410 velocity is from a shotgun barrel 26 inches long.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought the slug may carry further. In my state, a .410 slug is deer legal
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mgderf
    Thought the slug may carry further. In my state, a .410 slug is deer legal

Slug won't carry further nor be as accurate as a .45 colt round from that revolver.

On legality, a .410 slug MIGHT be legal if you were firing it out of a shotgun.

The Taurus is a pistol and it has a rifled barrel.

So unless you are allowed to hunt with a PISTOL, I can't imagine being legally allowed to hunt with that Taurus in your jurisdiction.

If you want to be the "test case" and explain to the game warden why firing a slug from your revolver is different than firing an ordinary bullet, then go ahead. I wouldn't want to be that test case.

If you are allowed to hunt with the pistol, then you are better off using the .45LC rounds.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll take your word as for the effectiveness of the .45lc over the .410. That is why I asked, after all. I will tell you though, we ARE allowed to hunt deer in Indiana with a handgun. I'll have to check the stats again, but I'm not sure there would be an illegality. A .410 slug is a legal round, out of a shotgun.
    I do appreciate the opinions though. Thanks
  • ASPASP Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THERE'S A MAX OVERALL LENGTH OF THE 'CARTRIDGE'. I THINK IT'S 1.60 INCHES. THAT MAKES THE 410 SLUG TOO LONG FOR HANDGUN HUNTING. (PLUS IT'S MIGHTY WEAK AS A KILLING ROUND)

BOB
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    It seems to me that my 3" chamber gets almost all the propellant burned when I fire the slugs; with recoil as light as the 410, why would one fire those flamethrowin' 45Colts?
  • onthebreakonthebreak Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also keep in mind that (to my understanding) a rifled shotgun slug should not be shot out of a rifled barrel for accuracy reasons.