In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Interstate moving of my guns

Fourth HorsemanFourth Horseman Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm moving from California to Nebraska in May or June. Does anyone know where I can get information on the legalities of moving my guns? For example, is it legal to move them in the trunk of my car or do I need to ship them via common carrier or can a moving company that will be moving my furniture, etc., also move my guns?

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They would stay with me!! I can't see any logical or unlawful reason you could not do that...nambu
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    ONLY two states I know of that you could get in trouble are Ma. and MD. but neither of these are anywhere your route will take you . You can go to jail in those 2 states. In Ma. you will go to jail Mandatory one year no ifs ands or buts . I stopped going to LOBSTER (pistol) match held in Maine because of this stupid Ted Kennedy law Ma. was on my way there and did not want to drive around the entire state of Ma. to get there. They might have resend the law in the last few years but I doubt it.
  • laytonj1laytonj1 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can move them into CA but handguns need to be in locked containers. On a side note by CA law if you are bringing handguns into the state you must fill out a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report within 60 days and at a cost of $19 per handgun! I am sure tons of people have moved into CA and either didn't know the law or simply disregarded it-that would be up to you. You can go to the CA doj site for more info-and here is the rule about the report (registration[xx(]). If you have magazines with over 10 round capacity you also are not allowed to bring those into CA unless you are in Law Enforcement--good luck with the move---I moved OUT of that goofy state[;)]
    http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    You can move them into CA but handguns need to be in locked containers. On a side note by CA law if you are bringing handguns into the state you must fill out a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report within 60 days and at a cost of $19 per handgun! I am sure tons of people have moved into CA and either didn't know the law or simply disregarded it-that would be up to you. You can go to the CA doj site for more info-and here is the rule about the report (registration[xx(]). If you have magazines with over 10 round capacity you also are not allowed to bring those into CA unless you are in Law Enforcement--good luck with the move---I moved OUT of that goofy state[;)]
    http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php

from Callifornia, to Nebraska
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on being able to leave that state, which is sooo beautiful, but sooo politically twisted.

I hope your relo is wonderfully successful !!

Doug
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    In the trunk of your vehicle should be fine. So long as they're unloaded, I don't think anyone will have a problem with them.
  • corvidaecorvidae Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved from California to Vermont with them in my car. They were unloaded with bolts pulled, if applicable, and gun locked. I did have ammo in the car but it was also locked. You can imagine the stack of keys I had. I think most regs want them as far away from you as possible (eg. trunk) and unloaded. Don't rely on me though and call the states you are traveling through and find their laws. Might want to call them a few times to make sure you get accurate information....
    [:)]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FROM CA to Nebraska? Should not be a problem- Federal Law- Peaceable Traveler Act, supersedes state law. If legal to own at place of origin AND at destination, legal to have in between. Unloaded, in the trunk. OR a moving company can legally move them for you- they are a "common carrier"- you will need to declare them to the moving company. When I did Colorado to VA move, had too many to stuff in the trunk. Cased them, moving company loaded up 4 wardrobe boxes, marked boxes with an innocuous marking. I had SN inventory, gave copy to driver, he he verified, signed as recd from me, checked them off at destination. They will not move ammo, tho.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Congrats in leaving the Left Coast to a much more attractive area! I agree with the comment that my weapons would never leave my sight in any move as they are too valuable to lose to accident or theft. When I travel from DE through MD to WV with weapons I break them down and separate ammo from them within the car or my truck. And keep them cased up. Never had a problem. Don't know how many weapons you have, but if was moving I would rent a truck and take them myself to my new home. Good luck on your move!
  • MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    ONLY two states I know of that you could get in trouble are Ma. and MD. but neither of these are anywhere your route will take you . You can go to jail in those 2 states.

What would you get in trouble for? Federal law allows you to transport legal firearms from state to state.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mooseyard
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    ONLY two states I know of that you could get in trouble are Ma. and MD. but neither of these are anywhere your route will take you . You can go to jail in those 2 states.

What would you get in trouble for? Federal law allows you to transport legal firearms from state to state.

Regardless of the "peaceable transport" law, New York State will file "firearms trafficking" charges against you if you are carrying more than 5 handguns in your vehicle even if they are unloaded and locked in your trunk!

When I moved from Virginia to NY State, I disassembled my handguns and had my dealer send just the frames to a NY State FFL dealer. I took the slides, cylinders, mags, etc. with me and picked up my handguns when I got to NY.