In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger Mini-14

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
.223 cal "new/unfired" $300.00 .......Saw this ad in paper
today...just down the st from me........ Is this a deal????????
I know nothing about the mini-14's..................

coonass

"A man is known by the
company his mind keeps."
T.A. Aldrich

Comments

• shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking about acquiring a Ruger Mini-14 with a hi cap mag before they are banned.
    Are there any particular years that are better? The early years,middle, latter years? What year were they first manufactured and are they still in production? How accurte are they at 100 yds on the target. And would I be smart to get one with a scope?
    Carried the big brother in the miltary up till 64 and loved it. Shot expert on the range. However I understand they did not hold up under battle conditions. Missed Nam by one month. The way events are occurring, Will probably need all the firepower available.
    Any answers ideas and comments will be appreciated.

edited November -1
    I am an AR guy but I am interested in picking up a mini 14. I know nothing about them so I'd like to know if there is particular series that is better than most? I have a couple Garands, and it appears they share they same style action? I seem to prefer the ranch rifle in with the stainless and wood stock, not looking for something "tactical" after all I already have ARs. Any one have an opinion or helpful input? Thanks!
    edited November -1
    Hello, I have a chance to get a mini-14 ranch rifle. Just wondering what some of your thoughts were, either pro or con. Thanks for your time.

Without the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!
    edited November -1
    I need to know the approximate value of a used,early mini-14. It's in excellent shape except for some storage dings on the stock. It has the early Garand type rear sight and a gold bead front sight like on 10/22's. Serial # is 180-0049X. I understand the first thousand or so were either "Bridgeport" or "Southport" models before they moved. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a folding stock for a Mini I have had for years. They are a fun gun at the range.

100_1274.jpg
    edited November -1
    I guess the mini 14 is chambered in .223 Rem, so your not supposed to shoot any 5.56mm out it?
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I guess the mini 14 is chambered in .223 Rem, so your not supposed to shoot any 5.56mm out it?

The ruger is made with lesser tollerances so 5.56 is okay. Get a 196 series or above as these have undergone some of the latest improvements in the mini 14.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    But what ever Mini 14 you get it will not shoot as accurately as an AR...I have ARs that shoot 1 1/4 inch at 100 yards...my two Mini 14s can't touch that.
  • MontanianMontanian Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mini-14's a fun little rifle. The synthetic stock with stainless steel looks like a particularly nice combination-I've got the wood with blued steel that's a durable, rugged gun. Friends have had widely varying experiences with aftermarket, non-Ruger magazines. My 30-round starts to throw off the balance somewhat, you might want to use 10's or 20's-the basic 5 round is very sleek, disappearing into the stock entirely. The Wolf .223 doesn't feed well with one misfeed per 20-40 rounds not uncommon. It's a very practical ranch gun out here in ranch country, particularly good coyote gun. Since you like Garands, you'll like this scaled down version.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Montanian
    The Mini-14's a fun little rifle. The synthetic stock with stainless steel looks like a particularly nice combination-I've got the wood with blued steel that's a durable, rugged gun. Friends have had widely varying experiences with aftermarket, non-Ruger magazines. My 30-round starts to throw off the balance somewhat, you might want to use 10's or 20's-the basic 5 round is very sleek, disappearing into the stock entirely. The Wolf .223 doesn't feed well with one misfeed per 20-40 rounds not uncommon.

Have to disagree with the Wolf not feeding. I have hundreds of rounds of it and Silver Bear through my Mini with zero problems. I only use factory 20 round mags, if you are using non-factory mags that may be your problem.
    edited November -1
    Not too offend...but I'm not going to run Wolf through anything I own...that lacquer coating turns into powder and gums up your chamber...then you have to send your rifle back tot eh factory to clean it out...no thanks...I prefer federal or GA Arms..both have performed well over the years...I appreciate all the input fellas!!!
  • texas gunplumbertexas gunplumber Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mini-14 is for "BLASTING'
    AR15 is for serious shooting!
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...If your in love with good accuracy with a GOOD AR...easy sub 1" out to 150+....you will hate the Ranch/Mini. I had one each, NIB...OTB, I could NEVER get better than 2" at 100yds...3" was the norm, WITH flyers to boot!...I did not want to spend extra bucks to bring those groups tighter considering what the gun was to be fair..so sold them both; if it ain't accurate, I don't own it, just me...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif