In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

remington 552 help please

br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
i bought this gun a few weeks ago. i loaded it up with 15 LR 22's and it shot as fast as i could pull the trigger, i shot it about 200 more times and it never missed a beat. i put a scope on (grooved receiver) loaded it up and it shot one time and jamed.bullet tilting so nose starts into chamber but brass turns down . i have to take trigger assy out to get dented bent shell out of gun. thought i may have torqued something wrong, so i took scope off. still jams. put another trigger assy in gun same thing. it will load 1st bullet,fire it eject hull and next bullet will jam. now i have a fine semi auto single shot 22. does anyone have any suggestions as to the fix. i took it to the local parts changer there isn't a real gunsmith within 100 miles and i can do as well as the local. and he say's it's the carrier. that was before i changed out the trigger assy. any help please? ps: i don't see any burrs anywhere

Comments

• 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The scope isn't the problem. Its the gun. I had a Rem 552 that started blowing the rim after about 1500 rounds. Didn't do it very often maybe once in 50 rounds but it shaved a little lead off the bullet on chambering and after 50 to 100 rounds it wouldn't chamber completed and would blow the rim. Had to take it all appart and clean the lead out of the chamber where the rim went. Would work ok until the lead built up again. After another 500 rounds then it started doing what yours is doing, only once or twice a 100 rounds or so. At that point I sold it and bought a Nylon 66, best gun I ever owned, never failed to load and fire. My friend's 552 same thing. Its the gun. Sell it.
  • br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    thanks 5mmgunguy, i talked to a "Real" gunsmith i know who is close to 100 miles away today, and he said about the same thing.
    Quote" the 552 while it works is a good shooting rifle, but when it starts jamming they're almost imposible to fix permantly. they just keep messing up best thing to do is get rid of it or sell the parts." now these guns have been made since 1957. that's 50 years seems to me remington could find a fix for these problems. it seems after the 550-1 remington 22 semi auto's arn't very well made. just my thoughts.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The Nylon is great, not a great trigger though. I have since bought a Ruger 1022. Put a better trigger on it and it to is flawless.

Bottomline: Dump the Rem 552.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Pretty much my opinion of most all the Aluminum/alloy receiver semi auto .22's that came out mostly in the 1960's. THe Winchester Model 190 is another. Throw away guns.
    Great marketing plan. Buy new gun, shoot a few years. Then it wears out and is unfeesable or impossible to fix.
    So now you need to buy a another new gun.
  • br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    i have an old pump remington that will still be shooting when my son is dead and gone. remington stoped production in 1936.