In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M14 (M1A) forged parts or cast

U.s.M.c. 54U.s.M.c. 54 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hello to all , have a Springfield Inc. M1A , why did they use a cast trigger housing ? is forged that much better in a part like this ? would it be wise in the long run to replace it with a GI trigger group ? info on what other parts are cast and what to avoid in buying extra parts would be great.........Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    The trigger housing is one of the least of the cast parts on a Springfield Armory M1A, I'd be more concerned with the cast receiver than the trigger housing.

Before someone goes into a long explanation in cast vs forged, most will tell you forged is stronger, period. The strength of a forging is designed into the part to be optimized. A forging has grain flow, as does a piece of wood. A forging is stronger in some directions (hopefully the important directions) and weaker that a casting in some ways. A casting's strength is not dependent on the grain flow, and has realtively equal strength in all directions. A forging's strength is resisting forces perpendicular to the grain flow. In that direction, a forging is stronger than a casting.

If you wanted a forged receiver and parts on a rifle based on Garand design, you should have bought a Springfield Armory or RSI BM59. Or the receiver on a Chicom M14S is forged, and actually amoung the best receivers available for this type of rifle. Any problem with Chinese M14 style rifles does not involve their receivers, contrary to popular opinion.

The older M1As do have more MIL-SPEC parts, as the surplus parts dried up, they started using more and more cast and imported parts on their rifles. If I was to buy one, I'd be looking for one of the earlier ones, rather than a new rifle.
  • Options
    shootnstarshootnstar Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The quality is there on Springfield M1A's. I know many parts are from subcontractors these days, but thats the way it is for most firearm manufacturers anyway. The lowest bidder gets the work. Money is saved and made by using the latest maunfacturing techniques to make the part as quick and easy as possible without compromising quality. Try machining every piece of an M1A and you end up with a $5000 rifle. Just because one manufacturing process worked in the past doesn't mean its currently cost effective to continue to make it that way, when you can get a part of the same or higher quality from a least exspensive process. Last I heard Springfield Inc. was using a Czech firm known as CZ to supply many M1A parts including the bolt. Cz being one of the most respected firearms manufacturers in the world. As far as Cast Vs Forge, the real test lies in the heat treating process, which in this case Springfield has some of the highest standards in the industry, requiring certification for every part they use. As far as replacing a cast trigger housing with a USGI trigger group, one should have no reason to ever do such a thing unless a personal preference, considering the functioning of that paticular assembly and the forces applied to it when operated. Bolts, Barrels, and receivers require more stringent standards be applied during their manufacture due to the nature of their use and specific function. There is a company that specializes in the metallurgical aspects of M14/M1A type rifles and that would be Smith Enterprises of Arizona. They are very knowledgeable on this subject. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Of course heat treat is important, a properly heat treated and designed forged part will always be considered better than a properly heat treated and designed cast part. For optimum strength, designers and engineers will always go with a forging.

A new Springfield Armory M1A is a nice rifle, but not as nice as the earlier ones, and there are better "M14 style" receivers out there. An M14 style rifle built up with a Chicom receiver and using MIL-SPEC parts is actually a better rifle than the Springfield Armory. The Fulton Armory upgrades to M1A or Chicom M14S have a reputation for being expensive, but good. Due to price, I don't recommend them, but there is some good info on their web site.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/indexf-special.htm
  • Options
    U.s.M.c. 54U.s.M.c. 54 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Guys , just read the book by S. Duff , the book states that it is best to replace all cast parts , is this just a "must" be org. thing ? , Ruger has been using cast parts for.. well.. ever and they seem to be strong as an ox , I have looked at Fulton's web page , and yes they are high priced but very well made , I will most likley shoot less then 1000 rounds a year with my M1A , being in the PR Kalif. this was the best RIFLE I could find for the mnoey , looked for the M1 grand (308) by SA Inc. , no luck ! , so the botton line question is will this M1A last as is ? ........Thanks Again for the Info....."C"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I doubt you will ever have any problems doing that kind of shooting. I'd just keep it as it is and enjoy!

To err is human, to moo is bovine.