In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 94 saddle ring

JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
My son just bought a Winchester Model 94 in 44 mag for Cowboy shooting. We were discussing the "saddle ring" and it's use. What exactly was it used for and how? Jim

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to tie the gun to your horse.
  • restoreguyrestoreguy Member Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a loop of rawhide tied to the saddlering...I believe some riders would hang the rifle from the saddlehorn, in order to bring the rifle into action quickly, should the "posse" be in hot pursuit..!!
  • JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always heard it was tied to the horse soldier himself not the horse saddle. If the soldier fell off he would still have his rifle. Jim
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the few historical accounts that I have found, the saddle ring was used to tie the gun to the horse soldier. In reality very very few Winchester Saddle Ring Carbines (whether it was a Model 1873, 1876, 1886, 1892, 1894, or 1895) were ever used in the "intended" fashion. Most when used from a horse, were simply shoved in a leather scabbard.
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    In the few historical accounts that I have found, the saddle ring was used to tie the gun to the horse soldier. In reality very very few Winchester Saddle Ring Carbines (whether it was a Model 1873, 1876, 1886, 1892, 1894, or 1895) were ever used in the "intended" fashion. Most when used from a horse, were simply shoved in a leather scabbard.

How about the Rolling Blocks?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Blckhrn
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

How about the Rolling Blocks?

Just in case you missed the title to this post, it said WINCHESTER 94. Also, please note the bold type above. The last time I checked, a Rolling Block was a Remington product[:0][:)].
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello everyone: This thread has made me smile some!![:D]

Well since the "horse" was and still is the first "ATV" for people, and not all scabbards have the ability to be completely closed, (open at the top) I'll make an educated guess, (along with some practical experience) the saddle ring in conjunction with a "leather strip" was used to secure the rifle into the scabbard, also.

If anyone has ever rode a horse at a full gallop, or up and down creek banks, or down a steep incline, you would soon see that a rifle loose in the scabbard could easily come out. A simple little "half hitch knot" allows for a little tug on the loose end of the leather strip, and one can easily remove the rifle from the scabbard, when needed.

Regards to all!

Dave
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The US Cavalry used a "Carbine Sling" which was a leather strap slung over their shoulder with a swivel clasp which snapped onto the carbine saddle ring. This allowed them to load and fire their carbine without risk of dropping it.

MA1302.JPG