In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.22 Hornet/ .22-250

gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am interested in getting a rifle in .22 Hornet. I'm not sure why, I just kinda like the way the cartridge looks. I looked around the internet and the only thing I found was a Ruger 77/22. Is Ruger the only manufaturer currently making a .22 Hornet rifle? It seems just about every manufacturer has a few models in .22-250. Is this a similar round? Is it any good? I read somewhere Kimber used to make a rifle chambered for .22 Hornet, Model 82, I think it was.-Marcus

Comments

• BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Get either a .22 Mag or a .223 Rem, The 22 Hornet is just not worth it for what you get. ammo is some what pricey. BTW, Savage has the 1 in 9" twist for the .223 so you can shoot the heavier buddits.Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New England Firearms makes a single shot, break-open rifle in 22 Hornet as well as 223. CZ makes several nice rifles in 22 Hornet and 223. Browning and Ruger both make single shot rifles in both 22 Hornet and 223. The 22/250 is a much higher performance cartridge than the 22 Hornet. If you want a quiet, close range gun the 22 Hornet is fine. I consider it a little light for coyote size animals but adequate for chucks etc. The Hornet ammo is more expensive than the "plain box" 223 ammo. Remember, the 22 Hornet must have something going for it, it has been around since 1930's and is still going strong.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a low wall Winchester in 22 Hornet with single set trigger that Ive popped chucks as far as 340yds. With a single shot one can seat the bullet out further, get better accuracy and use max loads. For serious long range shooting you need a good steady rest and set trigger and a good scope. It's a smart caliber for hunting alone because the muzzle blast is light and you can spot your hits/misses which isn't possible with the .222 or larger. The single shot also makes it easier to catch your brass.I've been salivating for the CZ mini Mauser Hornet for about 40 years but realize the Winchester single shot is better suited for this kind of shooting.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Ammo may be pricey, but the beauty of the Hornet is that it offers better than .22 magnum ballistics and can be handloaded for the cost of .22 LR.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a a Ruger #3 in 22 hornet for salecpermd@centurytel.net
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when it come to turkeys with a centerfire it is the best!!! I just cooked the hen I got this year for thanksgiving that I droped with my brothers. I am considering getting one for my-self. I would not consider this a plinking rifle but it is a joy to shoot.
    "The Constitution of most of our states(and the United States)asserts that all power is inherent in the people;that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."--Thomas Jefferson--
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Don`t anybody like bees?.218
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hornet is great for populated areas.(so is the .218 bee) I'll agree with everything Nunn said. When looking at the price of ammo remember you're usually getting 50 in that box. That makes the price a little easier to take.WOODS
  • valkyrie.ridervalkyrie.rider Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the Thompson Contender section of the Hornady reloading manual, the 22 Hornet was called the most accurate round they tested. It is a great little round. Just don't try to make it something it isn't. Load it to modest velocities and limit range to 100-150 yards and you have yourself an excellent varmint round. I would suggest you look into a Contender. Maybe a carbine if you want to shoulder it. Great fun.